Béchamel sauce, also known as white sauce, is a classic French all-purpose sauce made from butter, flour, and milk. This easy béchamel recipe will have you making an amazing sauce in no time!
A CLASSIC BECHAMEL RECIPE
When it comes to the classics, it doesn’t get much better than béchamel sauce.This sauce is one of the most versatile sauces in any kitchen. It’s all about working the roux and adding your hot milk, bit by bit, so it doesn’t burn.
The sauce is actually the base for a range of recipes, such as Creamed Spinach and Lasagna. Made from butter, milk, flour, and salt, bechamel is a creamy sauce you’ll use again and again.
Last night I had some rotini pasta on the stove and wasn’t sure how I was going to serve it until I saw a bag of mushrooms. I quickly prepared the Bechamel Sauce as always, stirred in the mushrooms, and a couple minutes later I had a delicious sauce to go with our dinner.
There are lots of other dishes that work well with a Béchamel, but my favorite one is this Italian Sausage and Eggplant Casserole!
WATCH RECIPE VIDEO:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups HOT milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Begin by melting the butter over medium-low heat.
- Once melted, whisk in the flour; whisk until all lumps have disappeared and the mixture turns a light brown color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, a little bit at a time, and continue to whisk until smooth; bring to a boil and cook for 8 minutes, stirring constantly, or until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Set aside until ready to use.