Light and Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup – This hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup is filled with shredded chicken, tomatoes, corn and creamy refried beans. All the creamy comfort without the cream!
Hi, you guys! HAPPY SUNDAY! GUESS what today IS?? Just guess! It’s MY Name Day! Happy Name Day to meeee, Happy Name Day to meeeeeee! Oh. you don’t know what that is? Lemme tell you!
Most followers of the Eastern Orthodox Church celebrate Name Days or Saints Feast Days. The Name Days are celebrated in commemoration of Saints and Martyrs of the Church. On those days, we remember the holy men and women by celebrating Them. Because I carry the name associated with St. Catherine of Alexandria (Sveta Katerina, in Macedonian), today, December 7th, I celebrate Her in accordance with the Julian Calendar. According to the Gregorian Calendar, St. Catherine of Alexandria is celebrated on November 25th.
Now, allow me to turn your attention to this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup! This soup was part of my post-Thanksgiving “detox”. After gulping down a version of my Banana, Kiwi and Kale Smoothies for 4 days straight, we also feasted on this lightened up soup 2 days in a row with a side of raw carrots and broccoli. That’s a lie. With a side of crusty bread is more like it…
Best part? Always?? This is a one-pot, 30-minute, lightened-up dinner-deal.
Go on. Fire up the stove. This is quick and easy. Painless. You deserve it.
P.S. Don’t forget to watch the Real Housewives tonight – I need someone to tell me what happened since I am going to be all busy and stuff with my guests. M’kay?? Thanks!
Light Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 cans (14-ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 carton (32-ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (16-ounces) refried beans
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin , or to taste
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (leftover Rotisserie Chicken works great with this recipe)
- 1 cup canned corn kernels
- 1 cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Avocado Slices (optional)
- Tortilla Strips (optional)
- Heat butter and olive oil in a soup pot.
- Add onions and saute just until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and add chicken broth.
- Stir in refried beans and season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Continue to mix until well combined; turn the heat up and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low; add chicken and corn kernels; continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until heated through.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cheese, avocado and tortilla strips.