Shrimp Corn Chowder – Loaded with fresh corn, bacon and shrimp, this smoky-sweet corn chowder is easy and delicious, and ready in about 30 minutes!
Here’s what you eat when you pick up bushels and bushels of sweet Indiana corn!
Also, I was super busy getting everyone ready for today’s first day of PRE-K, thus I ate chocolate for dinner last night and figured it was finally time for some real food.
I have to tell you; I’m more nervous for my kids’ first day of school than I ever was for my own. In fact, I couldn’t wait to go back to class and socialize all damn day. AND rearrange my Trapper Keeper every chance I had. AND fill up my Lisa Frank folders!! EEEEP! SO FUN!
Best part was passing around notes with a “Circle YES if you want to be my boyfriend” message. I was quite the flirt.
…about them shrimp and corn…
I’m back on the easy meal train! Hell, I’m ALWAYS on the easy meal train. Ain’t nobody got time for anything complicated. These days, I’ve been making lots of Cheesy Bacon and Corn Stuffed Zucchini because, zucchini… and plenty of Cornbread Pancakes for brinner. I love ’em!
This chowder is kind of similar to my all time favorite Turkey Corn Chowder sans potatoes, but different enough that I felt compelled to share it with you so that you can also taste how good it is.
It’s SO delicious, especially finished off with a drizzle of milk or cream or half & half. You decide. And I just go wild for the delicious bites of shrimp and bacon and corn. For me? This is a MEAL. For my husband, it’s a pre-meal. I better have some ham-steaks and a big loaf of bread to go with it.
All I know is that this is very, very good and it needs to make it to your dinner table real sooooon!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Shrimp Corn Chowder
- 4 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 3 celery ribs , thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (you can also use 2 cans of corn, drained and well rinsed)
- 2 cups fat-free , lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup milk , cream, or half-and-half
- bacon bits , for garnish (optional)
- sliced green onions , for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large Dutch oven or a heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon to the pot; saute 4 minutes or until the bacon begins to brown.
- Add onion, celery slices, garlic, dried thyme, salt and pepper; cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in corn and cook for 2 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Add broth and water and bring mixture to a boil; continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove 3 cups of the corn mixture and transfer to a blender; blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- Return the blended mixture to the soup pot; stir in shrimp and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until shrimp is done.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk; stir until completely incorporated.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Garnish with bacon bits and green onions.