Do you know what today is? For some of us it is Christmas Eve.
Some Eastern Orthodox Churches, including those of Macedonia, Russia, Serbia, and a few others mark January 7th as Christmas in accordance with the old calendar, also known as the Julian calendar. Thus today is Christmas Eve and we’re getting ready for our big day tomorrow.
On the Eve of Christmas, it is traditional for all family members to gather and share a special meal. Can you guess what I am eating? It’s not what you see in these photos. Due to the Christmas Fast, today is going to be meatless, dairy free, egg free…
We will be roasting chestnuts and eating a big serving of Tavce Gravce. Dessert includes oranges, apples, and apricots. Wish I could dip them in some milk chocolate… 😉
About this creamy chicken. It’s seriously delicious. Honest to goodness. My husband thinks that it tastes exactly like those frozen dinners by Michelinas. I’m supposed to take that as a complement because that used to be his absolute favorite before he met me and my kitchen. 🙂
I think it just tastes darn good. We always go back for seconds and then sop up the bit of sauce left behind with some crusty bread. I also serve it with a leafy green salad on the side and a bottle of Chardonnay. YUM! I’m getting hungry!
- 1 1/2 lbs . (about 4 pieces) skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 small yellow onions , sliced
- 3 whole cloves of garlic , peeled and smashed
- 1 large carrot , sliced into rounds
- 2 fresh tomatoes , diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (14.5 oz. each) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bag (16 ounces) of egg noodles, prepared according to the directions on the package
- Parsley for garnish
- Gather all your prepared ingredients, except for the heavy cream and noodles, into the pot of your 7-quart, or larger, slow cooker.
- Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or on LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Continue to cook for 5 more minutes, or until heated through.
- Spoon on top of egg noodles and garnish with parsley.
*** If you want a thicker sauce: You will need 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour. Melt the butter in a frying pan and whisk in the flour; continue to whisk until thick and creamy. Remove and whisk the roux into the broth only after it has finished cooking in the crock pot.
WW SmartPoints: 19
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy