Creamy Chicken Asparagus Shells and Cheese Recipe – Lightened-up, yet perfectly creamy homemade shells and cheese made with chicken, asparagus, cream cheese and feta.
No, I didn’t find everything in my fridge and mixed it in with pasta. Why do you ask?!? 😉
More importantly! Everyone, including my pickiest eater, LOVED this easy weeknight meal! 🍴
Hey Hey Hello! WHAT is UP? My mom still answers that question with, “The sky…”, and she laughs afterwards… hasn’t noticed that she’s the ONLY one laughing.
But to answer that question, I am already anticipating the coming week. I’m supposed to work, clean the house (on the daily), cook (good thing that’s a paying gig for me), chauffeur two little kids to wherever, help with homework, volunteer at both schools, AND go to two birthday parties, AND one school party… And laundry… and and and.
Yo, how do you guys do it?! I’m exhausted after just typing it all out for you. And this is like, every week. How in da hey did my mom do all of this?!? Oh wait. She didn’t! Back in my day chauffeuring around to 15 extracurricular activities just didn’t happen. I think my mom would have given me the finger if I had asked her to do such a thing. 😆 LOL! AND she’s not like that, at all, but, in this case, I think she would have turned on us.
For what it’s worth, at least I have dinner covered. Thinking this Creamy Chicken Asparagus Shells and Cheese will happen again on Wednesday. The rest of the week is covered in this Weekly Meal Plan right here. Print it if YOU need all the help that I need.
The highlight of my life right now is STILL the fact that getting a home cooked meal on the dinner table is always possible. I am not one to order takeout (I do think about it A LOT, though…), and for that reason, I am just very happy to know the ins and outs of fixing great meals in record time.
This Shells and Cheese deal really did happen because I had two chicken breasts in the fridge, 10 asparagus stalks, some feta cheese crumbles, and 4 ounces of Neufchatel Cheese. The good news is that there are SO many flavors going on in here and I love it.
To round things out, all we’re doing here is sauteeing pieces of chicken with onions and garlic. Chicken broth and asparagus get thrown in, together with a bit of neufchatel cheese and a pretty helping of pasta shells. A sprinkle of feta brings it all togetha. The end. Happy weekend!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- 4 cups dry pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 (about 12 ounces) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1- pound fresh asparagus stalks , cut into 2-inch pieces (break off and discard the woody ends of the asparagus)
- 4- ounces Neufchatel Cheese , cut into a few pieces
- 1/4- cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4- cup skim milk , optional
- Prepare pasta shells according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in a large nonstick saute/frying pan.
- Add chicken, onions, and garlic; season with salt and pepper and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned and cooked through.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Stir in asparagus and continue to cook for 6 minutes, or until liquid has reduced and asparagus is tender.
- Drain pasta thoroughly and add to frying pan.
- Stir in Neufchatel Cheese and continue to stir until melted and everything is well combined.
- If the sauce seems a bit dry, add skim milk and continue to cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Transfer to serving plates and sprinkle with feta.
WW Smart Points: 10
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE: