Light and sweet Pumpkin Pie Spice Scones are flavored with rich fall spices and coated in a simple but delicious cream glaze. Significantly healthier than Starbucks Pumpkin scones and a perfect easy cream scone recipe for fall baking!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Scones with Glaze
Whenever I decide to make cream scones, I go big. I want big, puffy scones that are not too dense, not too light, and golden brown. And that’s exactly what this recipe is (IMHO): the perfect scone! Perfect height, perfect texture thanks to some hearty oats, and the most perfect pumpkin taste.
These Pumpkin Pie Spice Scones are plump with a bit of crackling on top, beautifully moist and deliciously sweet inside, and perfect for all your breakfasts and brunches! They basically represent my love of all things Fall: pumpkin, comfort, plus the seasonal arrival of International Delight’s Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer.
What You’ll Need
These cream scones contain 150 calories less than the Starbucks Pumpkin scones they were inspired by. Along with pumpkin pie spice creamer, they’re made with healthy yogurt and oats, and half the butter! Here are the ingredients:
For the Scones
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Coffee Creamer: Infuses the scones with a delicious burst of creamy Pumpkin spice flavor. My forever favorite is the seasonal Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer from International Delight. I stock up every year!
- Rolled Oats: I love the hearty texture that oats give these scones. Something about oatmeal and spices gives me all the fall vibes!
- Sugar: Regular granulated sugar, or light brown sugar also works for an added hint of caramelized flavor.
- Butter: Chilled unsalted butter, chopped into pieces.
- Plain Yogurt: Nonfat yogurt or regular kind will add moisture to the scones.
- Ground Cinnamon
- Vanilla Extract
- Baking Powder
For the Glaze
- Ground Spices: Cinnamon, ground cloves, and nutmeg. You can also use premixed pumpkin pie spice often found in the spice aisle, which contains all three!
- Powdered Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice Coffee Creamer
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Scones
Combine the Dry Ingredients: Mix together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Cut in the Butter: Cut the cubed butter into the dry ingredients. I always use my fingers, but you can use a pastry cutter if preferred! Mash the butter and dry ingredients together until the mixture is fine and crumbly.
Add in Wet Ingredients: Make a well in the center of the dough where you’ll pour in the creamer, yogurt, and vanilla. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything just until the dough comes together.
Knead & Cut the Dough: Knead the dough on a floured surface and shape it into a disk. Using a large knife, cut the dough disk into even sized wedges and then transfer these to a prepped baking sheet, leaving a bit of space for the dough to expand.
Bake: Bake the scones until they’re a beautiful, puffed up golden brown and then let them cool on a wire rack.
Prepare the Glaze: To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and coffee creamer. You can add extra milk or sugar as needed to get the glaze to your desired consistency. Give each scone a generous spoonful of glaze, let it set, and then serve!
These cream scones are fabulous for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or even a cozy dessert served with coffee or tea.
Can I Make These in Advance?
What’s better than one batch of pumpkin spice scones? Pumpkin spice scones whenever you please! You can absolutely make the dough in advance and freeze it for baking as needed at a later date.
Place the unbaked scones in a single layer on a baking tray, freeze them until they’re solid, then transfer them to a resealable freezer bag. Bake the scones from frozen in a preheated oven, adding a couple of extra minutes to the baking time.
Tips for Success
- Don’t Overmix the Dough: It’s fine if you still have visible pieces of butter after mixing your scone dough! Overmixing can lead to a not-so-nice texture.
- Bake with Cold Butter: Chilled butter is necessary when cutting into the flour for a fine crumbly texture! Cold butter also prevents the scones from spreading too much as they bake.
You can really let your imagination take hold when it comes to scones. They’re just such a perfect recipe for customizing! Here are some ways you can mix it up:
- Give the tops of the scones a sprinkle of brown sugar prior to baking
- Drizzle your favorite icing or frosting overtop of the cream glaze
- Mix a handful of chocolate chips, crushed nuts, or dried cranberries into the dough
- Add in fresh blueberries, raspberries, or apple chunks
- Swap out the yogurt for buttermilk
- Instead of a cream glaze, try these scones with a tangy cream cheese frosting
Enjoy these cream scones warmed up with a nice indulgent slab of butter, or your choice of fruit preserve. Apricot, marmalade, and cranberry jam are all super delicious paired with the pumpkin spice – just saying.
How to Store and Warm Scones
Store these scones in an airtight container or zip seal bag at room temperature. They’ll keep for up to 3 days, otherwise they also freeze super well – see freezing directions below.
You can warm scones in the microwave for a few seconds, or in the oven for a few minutes, until heated through.
Can I Freeze Scones?
As mentioned earlier, my favorite way to freeze scones (either baked or unbaked) is by pre-freezing them first and then transferring them to a freezer-safe container. You can leave them unwrapped, wrap them individually, or separate the layers with parchment paper.
Allow baked scones to thaw to room temperature before serving (and glazing!). Unbaked scones can be baked in the oven straight from frozen.
More Fall Baking Recipes
Fall is the best season for baking, and you can’t miss out on these other festive recipes:
- Pumpkin Spice Spritz Cookies
- Olive Oil Pecan Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Rolls
- Apple Crisp
- Caramel Pecan Pie Bars
Pumpkin Pie Spice Scones
FOR THE SCONES
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3- cup rolled oats
- 1/3- cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold butter , cut in pieces
- 1/2- cup International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer
- 1/2- cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons International Delight Pumpkin Pie Spice Creamer
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; whisk until completely incorporated.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients with your fingers, or with a pastry cutter; rub until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and pour in creamer, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine all the ingredients just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface; flour your hands and knead the dough five times.
- Shape the dough into a disk; cut dough into 8 wedges.
- Put all the wedges on previously prepared baking sheet, leaving about 1-inch space between each scone.
- Bake the scones for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool for 2 minutes and then transfer the scones to a wire rack.
Prepare the Glaze
- In a small mixing bowl combine powdered sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and creamer; whisk until smooth.
- If the glaze is too thick, add more milk; if glaze is too thin, add more sugar.
- Spoon and spread the glaze over each scone.
- Allow glaze to set before serving.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Kitchen Mission Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls 1.5,3,4, and 5 Quart. Plus Measuring Cup and Spoon Sets, Set of 6 (Complete Set)
- Set of 6, 4 Heavy Duty Mixing Bowls, Mirror Finish and a measuring cup and spoon set
- High Quality Durable mirror finish 8/8 stainless steel construction
- Sizes - 1.5qt,3qt,4qt,and 5qt
- Includes a set of Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons
- Light weight and easy to use, flat base, curved lip
OXO Good Grips 11-Inch Better Balloon Whisk
- Balloon shape is perfect for whipping and aerating ingredients
- Innovative handle shape fits comfortably in the palm of your hand
- Polished stainless steel wires
- Soft, comfortable, non-slip handle
Bamboo Cooking Utensil-Set (6-Pieces) - Utopia Kitchen
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0754207392665|
|Package Dimensions||Height: 110; Length: 1181; Weight: 35; Width: 209|
|Product Type Name||KITCHEN|
|Title||Bamboo Cooking Utensil-Set (6-Pieces) - Utopia Kitchen|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 754207392665|
Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, Half Sheet Size, 11-5/8" x 16-1/2"
$22.99 in stock
5 used from $20.23
- Turn any pan into a non-stick surface and save time cleaning up
- Made of fiberglass mesh and the highest quality food grade silicone, which provides consistent heat distribution and promotes even baking
- Silpat is the original non-stick baking mat and has stood the test of time with use by the most demanding chefs in the world
- Mat measures 11-5/8" x 16-1/2", made for a 13" x 18" pan
- Freezer, microwave, and oven-safe, can be used at temperatures varying from -40 degrees c to 250 degrees c (-40 degrees f to 500 degrees f)
Bellemain Heavy Duty Aluminum Half Sheet Pan, 18" x 13" x 1"
- EXTRA-THICK ALUMINUM STANDS UP TO YEARS OF HEAVY USE: A thick sheet of high-quality aluminum means you can count on even baking, something Bellemain insists on. Heats evenly and won’t warp.
- COMMERCIAL QUALITY FOR THE HOME COOK: Professionals rely on this kind of quality, which makes it a natural choice for the serious home cook who appreciates reliability and excellence.
- REINFORCED ROLLED ENCAPSULATED STEEL RIM PREVENTS WARPING: The raised 1” lip on all 4 sides is reinforced to ensure your sheet pan won’t warp when removing it from a hot oven, the way flimsy pans do.
- HIGH-QUALITY ALUMINUM WILL NOT RUST: Go ahead! Wash this pan by hand as much as you like. Unlike thin, cheap pans, the Bellemain Heavy Duty Aluminum Sheet Pan doesn’t rust.
- NO NEED TO REPLACE YOUR BAKING SHEETS EVERY FEW MONTHS: The Bellemain Heavy Duty Sheet Pan is crafted from superior aluminum and made to last for years to come.