Simple, beautiful and festive salad made with Quinoa, pomegranate seeds, tangerine segments, and topped with a delicious homemade Cranberry-Pomegranate Vinaigrette.
Hey You! HAPPY SUNDAY!
Ummmmm. Are you seeing a pattern here? I’m a teeny-weeny bit obsessed with quinoa. Okay, a lot. I can’t help it! It’s SO! GOOD!
Also, remember when I said that I was keeping all the fresh spinach for my salads? Well, here is the salad, except there’s no spinach in it. I used up the spinach and made my awesome Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza, instead! Far cry from that diet I was talkin’ about. But to counter that drool worthy pizza, I made this Pomegranate and Citrus Quinoa Salad the following day. Balance, people…that’s where it’s at.
So this is my new favorite quinoa salad. It is my way of taking my quinoa-obsession up a notch.
How, you ask?
I’ll tell you!
By boiling it in chicken broth instead of water. YEAH! That is some gooooood stuff! I am shouting as if I invented this method, however I had always made my quinoa with water, trying to save me some calories for all the toppings I would add to it, but this time around I really wanted something different, and different is what I got. Different and damn good!
This is my new favorite quinoa recipe and it will be my favorite quinoa recipe until I try my next new favorite quinoa recipe! Besides, this is a lot more exciting than the usual lighter-meals that I eat – cereal, water and berries.
OH! And let’s not forget about the dressing! You are going to LOVE it! Cran juice, pom juice, pom seeds… it’s just plain amazing. I drank it straight from the jar then I remembered to add it to our salad. Don’t judge… you’re going to do the same thing. Nevah say nevah!
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 wedge iceberg lettuce , shredded
- 2 small tangerines , segmented
- 1 avocado , cubed
- 2 radishes , thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a jar/cup with a lid; shake well and let stand.
- Combine quinoa and broth in a saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes; remove from heat and let cool.
- Layer shredded lettuce on a large plate.
- Layer cooled quinoa on top of salad.
- Add tangerine, avocado and sliced radishes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and pomegranate seeds.
- Shake or mix the salad dressing very well and add desired amount to salad.
*Refrigerate any remaining salad dressing and leftovers.
WW SmartPoints: 12
Looking for more Quinoa Recipes? See below!