Who is on a diet? *Raises both hands*
Who hates being on a diet? *Raises both hands, feet, extra hips, and thighs*
This post-holiday weight issue is a bore. Unfair. Too much to handle. Speaking of handles – where did these things come from? My children can now hang on them! I can hide a few chips in there, too.
Thus in my desperate attempt to make those handles disappear and that extra jiggle to take a break, (we can reconnect next year) I have been trying to eat somewhat healthier. My go to snack is a handful of almonds and my lunch involves either a salad or a lettuce wrap. Dinner has been replaced with a bowl of cereal, and dessert… well, now, we can’t let go of everything. I still have dessert. 🙂
Few days ago I wanted to change things up a bit, so I went to my pantry and finally opened up that 4-pound bag of Quinoa that I bought at Costco last month. I actually like Quinoa because it’s versatile. I once made it with dried fruit and I couldn’t believe how good it was. Sometimes I will just add it to my leafy salad, or eat it plain with a good homemade dressing.
If you have never tried quinoa, give this recipe a go. I think you will love it. Feta and sun-dried tomatoes are a really good match for this grain, and the lemon vinaigrette pulls it all together nicely.
Quinoa with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Feta
For the Quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 8 to 10 sun dried tomatoes , chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried basil (if you have fresh basil, use 1 tablespoon chopped basil)
For the Dressing
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- In a medium sized saucepan combine the water and quinoa; bring to a vigorous boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and let simmer until quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and fluff up with a fork.
- Transfer the quinoa to a bowl and mix in the sun dried tomatoes, feta, and basil.
- Make the dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl; whisk together until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa, toss, and serve.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.