Jambalaya Recipe – Easy, tasty, one pot recipe for Jambalaya prepared with rice, chicken, shrimp, and sausages. Whip up this Southern favorite in just 30 minutes and get ready for a Mardi Gras dinner that the whole family will love!
Jambalaya is my go-to winter stew! During the winter season, I make this Jambalaya recipe about once a month. It’s easy, hearty, and it takes me about 40 minutes to put it all together. Just chop a few vegetables, devein some shrimp, place all things in a dutch oven and wait for the warm and spicy aroma to fill the house.
WHAT IS JAMBALAYA
Jambalaya is a very popular dish that has Spanish and French influence. It’s prepared with chicken, shrimp, sausages, and rice – or a variation of that – and it is comfort food at its best. Jambalaya is one of the easiest one-pot meals you can put together, even on a busy weeknight.
We will need:
- bell peppers
- andouille sausage
- diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- chicken stock
- To make Jambalaya, we will first start with sauteeing the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic in a large dutch oven.
- Next, we are going to cut up chicken breasts into cubes, season with paprika and oregano, and add it to the pot to cook until browned.
- Sliced andouille sausage goes in next, followed by tomatoes and tomato paste, as well as a teaspoon of cajun seasoning, plus chicken stock and rice.
- All of that will need to simmer for about 20 minutes before we finally stir in the shrimp, let cook for a few minutes, and then serve.
It’s basically a pot of rice loaded with meats, seafood, tomatoes, and more flavors and textures than you thought you could handle in just one meal.
For a complete dinner, serve this with some crusty bread, a green salad, and a glass of your best wine.
CHECK OUT THESE SIMILAR RECIPES FOR INSPIRATION:
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Sheet Pan Andouille Sausage with Potatoes and Veggies
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Skillet
- Mom’s One-Skillet Sausage and Rice
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Easy, tasty, one pot recipe for Jambalaya prepared with rice, chicken, shrimp, and sausages.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 2 bell peppers diced (you can use red, green, yellow, etc.)
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 ounces andouille sausage sliced into coins
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups low-sodium fat free chicken broth
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 teaspoon or to taste, cajun seasoning
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 green onions thinly sliced, for garnish
- dried parsley for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, celery, and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4 minutes, or until just tender. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken and add sweet paprika and oregano.
- Cook for 5 minutes, or until chicken is browned on all sides.
- Stir in prepared sausage and tomato paste; cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and cajun seasoning.
- Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the shrimp and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until shrimp is pink and cooked through.
- Remove from heat.
Garnish with sliced green onions and dried parsley.
WW FREESTYLE SMART POINTS: 4
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy