Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a quick to make, incredibly delicious gumbo recipe that’s loaded with chicken, sausage, okra, peppers, and tomatoes. Served over brown rice, this easy gumbo is a one pot meal that’s both healthy and filling!
If you enjoy this dinner recipe you might also like my Jambalaya Recipe with Chicken, Shrimp and Sausages!
This Easy Gumbo Recipe Is Perfect For Celebrating Mardi Gras
GUMBO. Because Mardi Gras is in less than a week! Wish I was in N’awlins for it, but this homemade gumbo will have to do.
Hello boo! How are we doing? It’s mid-week, Friday is almost here. Hang in there. Though I realize that always waiting for the weekend means that you miss out on everything in between, but oh well. Friday will always be better than Monday.
Oh oh oh! Another key element to Fridays? Going to bed late and sleeping in on Saturday mornings. Yahhhssss! And making gumbo! Why not?!
I Love How Quick And Easy This Gumbo Is To Make
Did you know that traditional gumbo takes hours to make?! NOT this guy! It’ll be done in like 30 minutes. However, I do feel like winter begs for slow cooked stews, but ain’t nobody got time for that. Unless, it’s in the slow cooker. Then I’m cool with it. BUT to stand above a stove stirring every 4 minutes for 4 hours? Naaah. I’ll stick to this Chicken and Sausage Gumbo which is so basic and ridiculously delicious.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Chicken and Sausage Gumbo?
First and foremost, DO NOT BE AFRAID of the list of ingredients. It’s stuff you already have on hand.
- Andouille Sausage
- Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Cajun Spice/Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes (canned is fine!) and
- Brown Rice (Minute Rice is fine!)
See? Nothing to fear.
How To Make The Best Gumbo
Now, whip out your dutch oven, friends, because we are about to start browning some andouille sausage.
When that is all said and done, we will move on to making a roux with a bit of butter, some oil, and a sprinkle of flour. You’re also going to add our chicken to that roux and cook it through. It will be pretty and golden and ready for its friends to join in!
Once we’re done with all of that, the rest of the ingredients will follow to create this somewhat traditional, packed with flavor, Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
Get on this pronto! XO
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a quick to make, incredibly delicious gumbo recipe that's loaded with chicken, sausage, okra, peppers, and tomatoes. Served over brown rice, this easy gumbo is a one pot meal that's both healthy and filling!
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage , sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 boneless , skinless chicken breasts, cut in about 1-1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 3 celery ribs , thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun spice/seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes OR 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup slices of okra
- 3 to 4 cups prepared brown rice
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Set a dutch oven over medium heat and add sausage slices; cook for about 4 minutes, or until browned on all side. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add butter and oil to the dutch oven; melt and swirl to coat.
- Whisk in the flour; whisk and cook for about 2 minutes, or until flour mixture starts to brown.
- Add chicken and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in onions, chopped bell pepper, celery, garlic, cajun spice, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook until veggies are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken broth and add tomatoes; bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in the previously prepared sausage and sliced okra; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve over prepared brown rice and garnish with parsley.
Inspired by Food Network