Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a quick to make, incredibly delicious gumbo recipe that’s loaded with chicken, sausage, okra, peppers, and tomatoes. Served over brown rice, this easy gumbo is a one pot meal that’s both healthy and filling!
If you enjoy this dinner recipe you might also like my Jambalaya Recipe with Chicken, Shrimp and Sausages!
This Easy Gumbo Recipe Is Perfect For Celebrating Mardi Gras
GUMBO. Because Mardi Gras is in less than a week! Wish I was in N’awlins for it, but this homemade gumbo will have to do.
Hello boo! How are we doing? It’s mid-week, Friday is almost here. Hang in there. Though I realize that always waiting for the weekend means that you miss out on everything in between, but oh well. Friday will always be better than Monday.
Oh oh oh! Another key element to Fridays? Going to bed late and sleeping in on Saturday mornings. Yahhhssss! And making gumbo! Why not?!
I Love How Quick And Easy This Gumbo Is To Make
Did you know that traditional gumbo takes hours to make?! NOT this guy! It’ll be done in like 30 minutes. However, I do feel like winter begs for slow cooked stews, but ain’t nobody got time for that. Unless, it’s in the slow cooker. Then I’m cool with it. BUT to stand above a stove stirring every 4 minutes for 4 hours? Naaah. I’ll stick to this Chicken and Sausage Gumbo which is so basic and ridiculously delicious.
What Ingredients Are Needed For Chicken and Sausage Gumbo?
First and foremost, DO NOT BE AFRAID of the list of ingredients. It’s stuff you already have on hand.
- Andouille Sausage
- Bell Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Cajun Spice/Seasoning
- Diced Tomatoes (canned is fine!) and
- Brown Rice (Minute Rice is fine!)
See? Nothing to fear.
How To Make The Best Gumbo
Now, whip out your dutch oven, friends, because we are about to start browning some andouille sausage.
When that is all said and done, we will move on to making a roux with a bit of butter, some oil, and a sprinkle of flour. You’re also going to add our chicken to that roux and cook it through. It will be pretty and golden and ready for its friends to join in!
Once we’re done with all of that, the rest of the ingredients will follow to create this somewhat traditional, packed with flavor, Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.
Get on this pronto! XO
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage , sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 boneless , skinless chicken breasts, cut in about 1-1/2 inch chunks
- 2 medium yellow onions , diced
- 1 green bell pepper , diced
- 3 celery ribs , thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon cajun spice/seasoning
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups low-sodium fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes OR 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup slices of okra
- 3 to 4 cups prepared brown rice
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Set a dutch oven over medium heat and add sausage slices; cook for about 4 minutes, or until browned on all side. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add butter and oil to the dutch oven; melt and swirl to coat.
- Whisk in the flour; whisk and cook for about 2 minutes, or until flour mixture starts to brown.
- Add chicken and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in onions, chopped bell pepper, celery, garlic, cajun spice, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook until veggies are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken broth and add tomatoes; bring mixture to a boil.
- Add in the previously prepared sausage and sliced okra; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve over prepared brown rice and garnish with parsley.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
16 comments on “Chicken and Sausage Gumbo”
Love this recipe! My kids love it too
Are the points for the gumbo and the rice? Is a serving of gumbo approx. 1 cup? This looks delish!
Yes, I just double checked in my weight watchers app just to make sure nothing has changed, and it’s still 11 points at 1 cup per serving. 🙂
I made this tonight and both my husband and I were very pleased with it. Great flavor and very easy to make. I’ll definitely make again.
This is the real deal. Gumbo is my favorite thing to cook and eat. The only differences I make is I add 3 celery stocks because I like celery a couple jalapeno peppers for heat, two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce “preferably Lea and Perrins” and a bottle of dark beer like a stout or porter. Also I prefer to make my own chicken stock then shread the chicken for the gumbo or you can just use a large package of whole skinless bone in chicken thighs which works best. Theres a great youtube video of Justin Wilson on making gumbo. Check it out if you can. And remember to constantly stir your roux, when you think it’s going to burn cook it for 15 minutes longer just make sure to keep on stirring and you’ll be alright, it should look like dark chocolate with a redish tint to the head A wood spoon works best wisks can’t get the edges right. Serve with tobasco, and white rice cooked in chicken stock and you’ll be in heaven. Ok now im definatly making this tomorrow. Ymmmm
Yay! Thanks so much for chiming in, Melissa! You definitely know your gumbo! *high five* 😀
Yaaas! This looks absolutely amazing. And now my gumbo cravings are out of this world. Thank you for that- seriously. Need to try this soon!
Nothing beats a good gumbo! Delish!
I would LOVE to try this! Looks so tasty and flavorful!
Yumminess! I love everything…except Okra! Gotta try this! This Saturday as it might be my only day off in the last 12 days! I bet leftover are even yummier! Great for taking to work for dinner!
This is such a hearty meal. We’ve never tried it on our own but we DO buy the stuff in the can. This is most likely much better lol
Yum, yum! We love cooking up gumbo this time of year, and I love your take on it!
OMG Mardi gras is in less than a week?! I best start drinking now! 😛 Seriously this looks delicious and I need to try it.
YAHS! I’m saving my liver for the weekend!
I need to make this stat! My youngest is obsessed with okra, he would love this!
Looks super healthy, just what I need right now!