When it comes to cooking shrimp, I swear by this Garlic Basil Grilled Shrimp Skewers recipe. Crisp and juicy grilled shrimp are stacked on a skewer and marinated to perfection with garlic, lime and other simple seasonings.
Flavor Packed Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Grilling shrimp has never been easier than it is with these shrimp kebabs. My garlic basil marinade will give your shrimp the BEST flavor with just 15 minutes of soaking time. You can’t find a quicker grilled shrimp recipe with this much flavor.
Plus, the marinade is made with just a handful of simple ingredients.
Why Cook Shrimp on a Skewer?
Skewers make everything more fun in my opinion. But they’re also super practical for grilling shrimp. You can flip them easily so they cook evenly, and there’s no chance of them falling through the grates. When your shrimp is ready, you can easily take it off the skewers or enjoy it as a shrimp kebab! 🍢
- Basil Leaves
- Parsley Leaves
- Olive Oil
- Lime Juice: I am in love with shrimp that has a hint of lime flavor, but you can also use lemon juice if you’d like!
- Salt & Pepper
- Large Shrimp: Peel and devein your shrimp; consider leaving the tails intact for easier handling and looks. 🤷♀️
- Lime Wedges (for serving)
How to Make Grilled Shrimp Skewers
All you have to do is mix together your marinade, soak your shrimp and grill! This is about to become your new go-to shrimp recipe. 🍤
- Make Marinade: Combine basil leaves, parsley, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt and pepper in a mini food processor and puree.
- Set Aside: Set aside 2 tablespoons of the basil mixture for later.
- Gather Shrimp: Add shrimp to a large bowl.
- Marinate: Add remaining basil mixture to the shrimp and gently stir to combine. Cover and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the shrimp marinate, soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes.
- Heat Grill: Preheat your grill to Medium-High.
- Thread Shrimp: Thread the shrimp onto skewers and brush the grill grates with vegetable oil.
- Grill: Grill the shrimp skewers for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until just charred and cooked through. Do not cook for too long or the shrimp will be rubbery.
- Remove from Grill: Remove your shrimp from the grill and brush it with reserved basil mixture.
- Serve: Serve shrimp with lime wedges, if desired.
Why Marinate the Shrimp?
- If you’re wondering why you should marinate your shrimp, all you have to do is try this marinade. It will give your shrimp flavor like never before! It will also help to keep the shrimp nice and juicy.
How Long Do You Grill Shrimp on Skewers?
- You only need to grill your shrimp skewers for 2-3 minutes per side. However, the grill time will vary slightly depending on the size of your shrimp. If you’re using jumbo shrimp, you’ll have to cook them a little longer and if you use smaller shrimp, they’ll need less time to cook through. You should remove them from the grill once the exterior turns pink and they’re slightly charred.
Tips for the Best Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
- Don’t Overcook Shrimp: If you grill your shrimp for too long, they will be rubbery. Keep a close eye on the shrimp kabobs – they cook quickly!
- Soak Skewers: If you’re using bamboo skewers, let them sit in water for at least 15 minutes before threading the shrimp. This will keep them from getting burnt on the grill.
- Preheat Grill: Make sure you let your grill get hot before you start cooking your shrimp. This will allow you to sear the outside and keep the inside moist and juicy!
- Grease Grates: Don’t forget to brush the grill grates with vegetable oil so your shrimp doesn’t stick.
There are tons of ways to enjoy grilled shrimp. Here are a few of my favorite things to pair it with and dishes to serve it over:
- Rice: Shrimp over rice is a timeless classic. Serve your shrimp skewers over my Almond Brown Rice Pilaf! It’s a healthy and delicious recipe that pairs perfectly with these shrimp kabobs.
- Salad: A healthy salad is always great to serve with grilled shrimp. This Easy Cucumber Salad is a fresh and creamy option.
- Vegetables: These Garlic Parmesan Roasted Vegetables are a heavenly side dish to make with your grilled shrimp.
- Other Kabob Ingredients: You can add other veggies or meats right onto the skewers with your shrimp! Alternate your favorite fruits with your lime-soaked shrimp for the ultimate grilled fruit and shrimp kabobs.
More Grilled Shrimp Recipes
- Grilled Shrimp Boil in Foil Packets
- Coconut Lime Grilled Shrimp and Veggies
- Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad
Tools Used in this Recipe
Garlic Basil Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, firmly packed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails intact
- lime wedges, for serving
- Combine basil leaves, parsley, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a mini food processor and puree.
- Set aside 2 tablespoons of the basil mixture.
- Add shrimp to a large bowl.
- Add remaining basil mixture to the shrimp and gently stir to combine. Cover and let sit 15 to 20 minutes. If using bamboo skewers, let them sit in water for at least 15 minutes before adding on the shrimp.
- Preheat a grill to Medium-High.
- Thread the shrimp onto the skewers.
- Brush the grill grates with vegetable oil.
- Grill the shrimp skewers for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until just charred and cooked through. When properly cooked, the shrimp exterior should be pink with red tails and the flesh will be slightly opaque in color. Do not cook for too long or the shrimp will be rubbery.
- Remove shrimp from grill and brush with reserved basil mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
16 comments on “Garlic Basil Grilled Shrimp Skewers”
These were so good! Very tasty and cooked up easily!
I am very glad you enjoyed them! Thank YOU! 🙂
The basil puree is everything!
Thank YOU! 🙂
Enjoyed this for dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! Looking forward to making this again later this week; the perfect summer meal!
I am very happy you enjoyed it!
My family loved shrimp and this grilled shrimp skewers was a huge hit!
I am very glad you and your family enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
This marinade sounds so good and flavorful! I am sure my family will love!
Thank you so much Catalina! I hope you and your family enjoy it! 🙂
Oh my goodness these look so delicious! My daughter, her boyfriend, and I all love shrimp! Can’t wait to make these!
I hope you enjoy them! Thank YOU! 🙂
We have grilling so much this summer! The marinade on these is the perfect amount of flavor. Such a quick and easy dinner.
Thank you so much, Jen! I hope you enjoy it! 🙂
This was quite possibly the best way to enjoy shrimp! So savory and tender; even my picky eaters devoured these!
That’s great! I am very glad you enjoyed these!! Thank YOU! 🙂