Spicy, sweet, tender, insanely delicious General Tso’s Chicken!
Hello, lovelies!! Happy Sunday!
How was Church? Or Temple?? Synagogue? House of Worship? Um, breakfast table?!? I hope I got everyone.
There goes the bank account, the savings account, bonds, investments, trust fund… buahahaha! If there was a trust fund, I don’t think I’d be worried about $355 dollar shoes. 😉
By the wayz, does anyone else feel that strappy sandals suck?! I mean, they’re hot to look at, but wearing them? Oh me gosh… no way. It’s like, bye bye blood circulation, helloooooow ashy heel. Um, no thanks.
Um. When did this blog become about shoes and style?! Let’s go back to what we know – damn good food!
I present to you my over-the-top scrumptious, spicy, AND insanely delicious General Tso’s Chicken recipe. I heart it thiiiiis much!
As you know, one of my goals in life is to make comfort food part of our everyday. Right now I am in the middle of a love affair with Chinese food and gluten free Carrot Cake. Obvi, those two have nothing in common, but I felt like I needed to get that out there.
Also, I’m having “Shahs of Sunset” withdrawals…
Recently, date night with the hubby involved a kid-less 2 hours and dinner at P.F. Chang’s. After our Spongebob-free night, I was inspired to make the General and share it with you.
Usually, I don’t make mine as spicy, but I’ve been missing out! The spicier, the better! And I don’t even care for spicy food, but this time around it turned out to be a mahvelous thang! …. Oh… just let me be… 😀
On a different note, and speaking of P.F. Chang’s, come back in a day or two – I have a surprise for you!
Hey, that rhymes! I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it! Okay, okay, I’ll stop.
Enjoy your Sunday! xo
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch , divided
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry , divided
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce , divided
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 pound boneless , skinless chicken breast or thighs, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Vegetable oil , for frying
- 4 to 6 dry red chile peppers
- 1 red bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup green onions
- Cooked rice
- Green onions , sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together egg white, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of the dry sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and chili powder; whisk until well combined.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the chicken stock; whisk until smooth.
- Add the remaining chicken stock, 1 tablespoon dry sherry, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar; whisk until combined; set aside.
- In a large pot, heat vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and slide into the hot oil.
- Fry the chicken, turning it once, until golden brown and cooked through; about 2 minutes.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a large saucepan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add the chile peppers, sliced red bell pepper and broccoli; cook until tender.
- Add garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup green onions.
- Continue to cook for a few seconds; add the chicken stock sauce, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Arrange cooked chicken on a platter and pour the sauce over it.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and/or sesame seeds.
More GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN recipes from your favorite bloggers:
General Tso’s Chicken from Cooking Classy
Lightened Up General Tso’s Chicken from Table for Two
No-Fry General Tso’s Chicken from Henry Happened