How to Make and Store Cauliflower Rice: Learn how to make, store, and cook cauliflower rice.
Cauliflower Rice is healthy, gluten-free, easy to make, easy to store, and it’s totally delicious. It’s also a great way to minimize starches and squeeze more vegetables into your day.
HOW TO MAKE CAULIFLOWER RICE
There are two ways to make cauliflower rice:
- You can use a grater and, using the medium-sized holes, grate the cauliflower until it starts to resemble rice.
- The second method, which is the one that I prefer, is to use a food processor or a blender with a “pulse” function:
- First, you will want to cut up the cauliflower head into florets.
- Place florets into the food processor and pulse several times, or until the cauliflower begins to resemble rice-like grains. Do not crowd the food processor, instead work in batches.
HOW TO STORE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- After ricing the cauliflower in the food processor, you want to transfer it to ziploc bags.
- If stored in the fridge, it will be good for up to 4 days. Stored in the freezer, it will keep good for 2 months.
- The rice can be defrosted on the counter before cooking.
When making a larger batch to freeze, I like to use about 4 heads of cauliflower, which helps in significantly cutting my prep time for when I want to cook up some “rice”.
HOW TO COOK CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Cook cauliflower rice in a skillet with olive oil or butter, and add any of your favorite spices.
- You can also fry some onions and garlic with it, and add a squeeze of lemon juice or lime juice.
- Serve with fresh herbs such as basil, cilantro, rosemary, etc…
HOW TO MICROWAVE CAULIFLOWER RICE
- Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap, or use a lid, and microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, carefully lift off the plastic wrap, and stir around the cauliflower. Cover again and microwave for 1 more minute.
- Remove from microwave, season, and serve.
CAULIFLOWER RICE RECIPES TO TRY:
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
How to Make and Store Cauliflower Rice
- 1 large head cauliflower
- Remove all green leaves, then wash and dry the cauliflower completely.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- Working in batches, place cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until broken down into rice-size pieces. Do not let the food processor just run because you will end up with mush.
- Scoop UNCOOKED cauliflower rice into ziploc bags, squeeze any excess air out, and flatten the bags.
- Place and store in the freezer for 2 months.
- You can also keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To cook, heat a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet; add cauliflower rice, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid and season with salt, pepper, and seasonings of choice. Serve.