Tender stuffed chicken breasts filled with melty cheese and asparagus. This Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe takes only 30 minutes to make and is so amazingly good!
EASY & DELICIOUS STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Quick and easy Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken filled with so much flavor, ready and on your table in 30 minutes? YEP! It’s also simple enough to prepare for any night of the week, yet elegant enough for a special occasion.
HOW TO MAKE ASPARAGUS STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
A low carb winner of a chicken dinner! These Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts are an easy Keto chicken dinner idea that your family will love.
- We are going to start with cutting pockets into the sides of 4 chicken breasts. Don’t cut all the way through.
- Then, we will drizzle some olive oil over each chicken breast and season all over with the perfect seasoning rub.
- Next step is to stuff the chicken breasts with mozzarella cheese and stalks of asparagus, and seal with toothpicks.
- In the meantime, you’ll want to heat up some olive oil in a cast iron skillet and add the chicken breasts to the hot skillet; sear for about 4 minutes per side, or until chicken is browned.
- Transfer skillet to a preheated oven and continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven; take out the toothpicks, squeeze lemon juice over the chicken, and serve.
If you like easy, healthier dinner recipes that you can make in 30-ish minutes, this Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken should be your next meal.
TIPS: HOW TO MAKE PERFECT STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
- To make a cut for stuffing the chicken, place one hand on top of the chicken breast to keep it steady.
- Insert a sharp knife in the middle of the thickest part and carefully cut three-quarters of the way through the middle.
- Place a slice, or two, of mozzarella cheese OR shredded mozzarella inside the pocket that you just cut and put 3 asparagus stalks on top of the cheese.
- Secure each chicken breast with toothpicks.
- If you have a cast iron skillet, I highly recommend using it for this recipe, but any oven-safe skillet is fine.
- In case that you do not have an oven-safe skillet, simply transfer the pan-seared chicken breasts to a baking dish and place in the oven.
HOW TO STORE STUFFED CHICKEN BREASTS
Leftovers should be placed in airtight containers and stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days.
To reheat, place chicken breasts in a 350F preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until heated through. You can also reheat in the microwave, but to avoid that rubbery texture, I advise to reheat them in the oven.
MORE STUFFED CHICKEN RECIPES
- Bruschetta Stuffed Balsamic Chicken
- Saucy Spinach and Cottage Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Goat Cheese, Bacon and Raisins Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Honey Garlic Chicken Recipe with Vegetables Rollups
Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, (you can use more cheese slices, if you want)
- 12 asparagus stalks, ends trimmed, divided
- squeeze of fresh lemon juice, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a small mixing bowl combine garlic powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Rub the remaining extra virgin olive oil over each chicken breast and season chicken with prepared seasoning rub.
- Stuff the chicken breasts with mozzarella slices and asparagus; secure with toothpicks.
- Add chicken breasts to the hot oil and cook until seared and golden on all sides; about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer skillet to oven and continue to cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Remove from oven.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over chicken breasts and serve.
- Leftovers should be placed in airtight containers and stored in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
41 comments on “Cheesy Asparagus Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe”
This was way too bland for our tastes. We are Mexican so spicy is how we roll. I always make recipes as written when I make for the first time and I agree with those who suggested doubling the spices and I would put some inside the pocket too. I think a sauce of some kind would help a bit with the dryness typical of chicken breasts. I will make it again but with some tweaks. It sure was pretty on a plate!
Can I assemble this and freeze it uncooked?
I am wondering what would be a good side dish or two to go with this?
The asparagus covers your veggie side, but you can also serve it with rice, polenta, or this quinoa recipe: https://diethood.com/quinoa-sun-dried-tomatoes-feta/.
If you want to keep the carbs down, maybe try it with cauliflower mash or this turnips mash: https://diethood.com/mashed-turnips/
We really enjoyed it. I’m definitely making this again.
I made this for the 3rd time tonight for my mother in law which, I have not yet cooked for before this week. I do everything as written except increase the amount of seasonings because we like more… She RAVED! And so quick to prepare but “looks gourmet”. Highly recommend!
That’s wonderful! I am very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
We tried this last night and it was fantastic! I always follow a recipe the way it was written before making any changes. The only change I made was doubling the spices… it was sooo delicious! I thought there would be leftovers but we ate it all!
I’m very glad you enjoyed it!! Thank YOU! 🙂
I wish it would tell you what temperature to cook the chicken on after the 4 x 4 see her in the pen. Is it 350 or 375 or 400? I don’t know the best way to not make it dry thank you for any insight
Hi! All the ingredients, instructions, and notes are in the recipe box found toward the bottom of the post. To make it easier, you can also click on “Jump To Recipe” at the very top of the post and that will automatically scroll you down to the recipe.
Made this last night exactly as written and it turned out perfectly!
That’s great! I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
PS: your brain runs on glycogen, which is derived from carbs. All this “low carb” and “keto” stuff is eye roll worthy. Gonna pair this with a nice side of carbs. Thank youuu
What are you a doctor or physiologist? You posted cringe.
AMAZING! Can’t wait to make it again…so easy and yummy
Can I use shredded mozzarella cheese?
Yep, that’s OK, too.
what would you serve this with
Adding asparagus made the recipe unique . It is a must try recipe for us. Thank you for a healthy recipe like this.
I tried this tonite as a trial run because I want to have it in a few weeks with friends it was good but too dry. Any ideas on how to tweak that?
Brine the chicken for an hour or two before you start!
this looks amazing, can’t wait to try it. Just one question, in the pic of your recipe there is something dark on top of the cheese and then you have the asparagus on top. At first I thought it was sundried tomatoes but there is none in the recipe. Maybe its just me or they way the photo was taken.
I see the same thing! Did you ever get an answer or try the sundries tomatoes??
Looks like sun-dried tomatoes to me! 🙂
I just made this for my husband all I hear is hmmm so good! I didn’t have cyanne pepper and added cooked leftover bacon in with asparagus and cheese followed the recipe other then that. He loves it
Do you precook the asparagus before stuffing in the raw chicken? Or just put uncooked asparagus in the raw chicken?
Yep, uncooked. 🙂
Now I know what’s for dinner this weekend!
This recipe is one of my favorites! Such amazing flavor!
This chicken is literally calling my name!
Serious yumminess! Asparagus and cheese…this is my kind of dinner!!
The perfect dinner! Everyone loved this and cleaned their plates!
Oh my goodness, this look absolutely sensational! I’d love to try this, so tasty and flavorful!
OMG! This chicken is absolutely amazing! So easy and crazy delicious!
This looks incredibly delicious! I’m going to have to try this.
Those breasts look decadent.
This is our families FAVORITE weeknight dinner! And I love how easy it is for me to make it!
This is one of our favorite chicken dishes! Impressive and delicious!
My family LOVES this cheesy stuffed chicken dinner. The asparagus was the perfect addition!
This was a huge hit in my house! A new favorite for weeknights!