Saucy Spinach and Cottage Cheese Stuffed Chicken – Easy, delicious, yet healthy stuffed chicken breasts with spinach and cottage cheese all baked in a hot and bubbly pasta sauce.
Hello, my internet pals! How goes it? And where are we at with our resolutions?! Keeping up? I hope! It’s that time of year when we need to draw deeply upon our super powers to stay away from not-so-good-for-you meals, and dive into healthier, lighter choices.
Thank you, NatureRaised Farms®, for sponsoring this post! All opinions are always 100% my own.
Here is the plan. You and I. We are for reals. You and I share things. Things like Sheet Pan Chicken Dinners, Baked Banana Chips, New Year’s resolutions, or even a talk about a recent shopping spree at Sam’s Club where I went in to pick up five items – NatureRaised Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, spinach, cottage cheese, etc… – but came out with an overflowing cart.
Happens every single time. But that’s okay because THIS incredible stuffed chicken dinner is what came out of it.
HEALTHY EATING RESOLUTIONS
About that resolutions plan, though. We as a family decided that we will stick to what we’ve been doing: eating healthier, but also eating what we crave IN moderation, move around more, and if we happen to find a money-tree, we will also vacation more. I always lose weight while on vacation because, when we aren’t at the beach soaking in the sun, all we do is walk and walk and walk some more.
I also have a few kitchen hacks that I employ in order to keep up with good eating habits.
1) bake, don’t fry.
2) don’t overdo it with the ingredients – five or six simple FRESH ingredients are enough.
3) prepare veggies + protein at all times.
4) sugar is a treat, not an entire slice of cake after dinner.
5) dance while you cook.
In keeping up with the above, here’s what we’re going to do: We’re going to go to our refrigerators and gather all of the delicious things. If those things are NatureRaised Farms® Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, the ones without antibiotics and no artificial ingredients, the chickens that are fed 100% vegetarian diets?!? Perfect!
If they’re not in your fridge, no big deal. Just hop on over to this LINK and see where you can get yourself a pack. While you’re at the store, I’m going to also need you to pick up a tub of cottage cheese, spinach, and a jar of tomato sauce.
Truth be told, sometimes all I have in the fridge are the things I just listed…
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED CHICKEN WITH SPINACH AND COTTAGE CHEESE
- Once you have all the ingredients in front of you, I am going to ask you to pound all the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Then, you are going to cut a pocket into the breast, and expand it for the delicious spinach and cottage cheese stuffing.
- When done with all of that, you’re going to arrange the chicken breasts in an oven safe pan or baking dish, top it with tomato sauce, and pop it in the oven. 45-ish minutes later, you are going to settle yourself into a cozy space and lick your fingers clean while eating this wonderful stuffed chicken.
Also? Before you take off, and because I also want you to get your hands on this wonderful product, I am giving away a $50 Sam’s Club Gift Card!! All you have to do is tell me, What will you make with NatureRaised® Farms Chicken Breasts? Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $50 Sam’s Club gift card!
For more information on NatureRaised Farms, please CLICK HERE.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
WATCH HOW TO MAKE SPINACH COTTAGE CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN
Easy, delicious, yet healthy stuffed chicken breasts with spinach and cottage cheese, all baked in a hot and bubbly pasta sauce.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- kosher salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bag (8 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup tomato/spaghetti sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- cooked whole wheat pasta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Slightly pound each chicken breast to an even thickness - DO NOT pound it thin.
- Cut a pocket on the side of each chicken breast and carefully cut it open - DO NOT cut through.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet.
- Add spinach and garlic; season with a pinch of salt and cook for 2 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and let the spinach cool down.
- When cool enough, combine spinach, cottage cheese, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, egg white, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl; mix and stir until well combined.
- Evenly spoon spinach mixture over prepared chicken breasts.
- Seal the chicken breasts with a toothpick and transfer to previously prepared baking dish.
- Combine spaghetti sauce and tomato paste in a small mixing bowl; stir until well combined.
- Spoon sauce mixture over the chicken pieces.
- Cover the dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Put back in the oven and continue to cook for 20 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes.
- Serve as is or over cooked whole wheat pasta.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 6
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy