Balsamic Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes – Quick, easy, and delicious pasta dish tossed with sweet tomatoes, asparagus, and an amazing balsamic sauce.
Guys, gals, my internet pals, Happy Sunday! I hope you’re taking some time to relax and recharge those batteries. Monday will soon be here and you’ll be wishing you HAD relaxed and chilled and finished that last cookie before starting your Monday-diet. Again.
Also. Open up those windows, breathe in the fresh air, and in between all that, please hop in the kitchen ’cause girl’s gotta eat.
Personally, I think it’s time to grub on some pasta, and I couldn’t think of any better way to do it than to toss it around with a bit of buttah and balsamicO. And veggies, for color.
Truth be told, all I have in the fridge are eggs and milk, and thanks to the warmer weather, my veggie bins are fuller. A craving for much simpler, delicious meals is also back and I am happy about that.
Here’s what we’re going to do with this balsamic penne pasta:
We are first going to go to those veggie bins and bust out all the delicious things in there. Asparagus and cherry tomatoes will do.
We will combine those two in a skillet, and while they do their thang, we’re also going to boil up some water and throw in (gluten-free, whole-wheat completely up to you, but not a bad choice!) penne pasta.
The best part is the sauce that is about to marry all that together; a balsamic reduction meets a bit of brown sugar meets few pats of butter. Yep, things are gonna get REAL good!
Next, garnish with some good ol’ parm, settle yourself somewhere near the open windows, sit right down on the floor and eat up everything inside that balsamic penne pasta bowl. ☝
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Balsamic Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes
- 8 ounces dry , whole wheat penne pasta (you can also use gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound asparagus , trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter , cut into a few pieces
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese , plus more for garnish
- Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.
- In the meantime, heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add asparagus and cook for 3 minutes; stir in tomatoes and continue to cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until veggies are tender.
- Remove veggies from skillet and set aside.
- Place skillet over medium-low heat; pour balsamic vinegar in skillet and simmer until reduced to about 1/4 cup and thickened.
- Stir in the light brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Drain the pasta and return to the pot.
- Add butter and reduced balsamic vinegar to the pasta; toss until well combined.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes, and grated parmesan; gently stir until thoroughly incorporated.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
12 comments on “Balsamic Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes”
can you substitute the tomatoes with a little tomato pasta sauce? i dont like whole tomatoes in anything sadly.
Made this last night. Delicious! Added bacon for some added protein. I am on Weight Watchers (lost 25 lb since February) & appreciate the ww points info on your recipes.
Just made this for dinner! Something fresh and zingy for a change!
This was a great recipe and super easy! The sweet taste from the balsamic was so tastey and something different too! My family enjoyed it so much❤️
This is exactly the sort of spring/summertime pasta dish that we love to make! I can’t get enough of all of the fresh produce.
That is amazing! I’m a fan of dishes like that and I have to make sure to cook one like this when I have some spare time, weekend probably! I will make my girlfriend try my cooking too! Thanks again for delivering all those tasty recipes!
What a gorgeous and flavorful pasta dish. Asparagus and cherry tomatoes is a wonderful place to start. Then add balsamic and … sounds so good.
Absolutely loving the flavors in this pasta dish! So delicious!
Gosh Katerina! This looks so sinfully good and yet it’s still healthy. I’m totally going to try this using gluten free pasta.
Anything with balsamic is right up my alley!
I love this kind of pasta dinner in the spring and summer! It looks amazing!
Throwing veggies in with pasta is a sure fire way for me to get my boys to eat more veggies. Guess I know what I’m making for dinner, thanks!!