Skillet Chocolate Banana Bread – This wonderfully moist, tender, and delicious chocolate banana bread is baked in a skillet and it tastes just like chocolate cake!
This chocolate banana bread recipe is seriously packing all-the chocolate and banana flavor. It’s super moist, thanks to the yogurt and olive oil, and the presentation is stunning! Right!? I loooove the addition of the sliced bananas on top. ????
Couple weekends ago I had 5 VERY ripe bananas that needed to be used up, stat. I also had a craving for chocolate – as ALWAYS ???? – and a cast iron skillet that inspired me to get on this banana bread recipe, as soon as possible.
Ten minutes later, in the oven went this chocolate banana bread and the results were DEEElicious. Like chocolate cake. Totally tastes like cake. A banana flavored chocolate cake.
Which reminds me, you need to try this old recipe from the archives: Chocolate Olive Oil Cake. It’s so, so good!
OR, if you’re not into chocolate, but do adore banana bread, I recommend you whip up this Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Coconut Oil.
HOW TO MAKE SKILLET CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD
- First, you’ll start by mixing together all the dry ingredients; flour, cocoa powder, light brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, you’ll combine mashed bananas, eggs, olive oil, and yogurt.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add some chocolate chips and nuts if you like, and pour the batter into your 10-inch cast iron skillet.
Add a couple of sliced bananas on top of the batter and 35 minutes later, you’ll have this beauty! Just don’t cut it until it’s cooled down a bit, m’kay?
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE BANANA BREAD IN A LOAF PAN
- You can also use a 9×5 loaf pan for this recipe, but the baking time will be about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Let bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.
This really is one of the easiest quick bread recipes. You don’t even need a mixer. Just some mixing bowls, a spatula, and a whisk. The hardest part is just waiting for it to cool because the smell of a loaf of fresh banana bread is pure heaven.
MORE BANANA BREAD RECIPES
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
This wonderfully moist, tender, and delicious chocolate banana bread is baked in a skillet and it tastes just as good as chocolate cake!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten with a whisk or fork
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 2 bananas sliced in half lengthwise, for topping
Preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with olive oil and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, light brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, eggs, mashed bananas, yogurt, and vanilla.
Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold with a spatula until just combined.
If using, fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
Transfer the batter into previously prepared skillet.
Place sliced bananas on top of batter.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
Let cool in skillet for 30 minutes; cut and serve.
You can also use a loaf pan to make this banana bread, but the baking time will be about 50 to 55 minutes. Let bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then invert it onto a cooling rack and cool completely before cutting.
Nutrition Facts does not include chocolate chips and nuts.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 8
Adapted from: Food52
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy