Rhubarb Chutney – This tangy condiment is delicious on top of grilled meat, crusty bread or over roast chicken.
Once upon a time I thought that this was Celery. Red Celery.
Then the Food Network told me that it had its own name; Rhubarb.
When you grow up in a household that serves Macedonian food 100% of the time, you kinda don’t find out about these other foods until you start driving. Or start watching the Food Network. We didn’t have The Cooking Channel back then.
Random: My cousin, Gerry, and I watched the Food Network once for 12 hours straight. Once we finished with that, we started watching The Godfather – I, II, and III.
Where was I going with this?
Oh right. The Red Celery. Sounds like a movie title. 🙂
Usually by this time of year rhubarb is everywhere. But this year, for whatever reason, it came a bit late in this part of the country. I was on the hunt for rhubarb for three weeks. I went to three different farmer’s stands and none of them had it. For the love of food, all I wanted was just a few stalks of rhubarb!
Finally last week there it was in a big brown box, sitting there lookin’ all red and pretty. The owner of the stand gave me a discount on it because he remembered me from the other times that I came to see him for this veggie. 🙂 or fruit. (scratching head) Which one is it?
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 pound rhubarb , cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until softened; 5 minutes.
- Mix in the rhubarb, raisins, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes, or until rhubarb begins to break down.
- Stir in the vinegar and remove from heat.
- Serve it with some pork! YUM!
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.