One Pot Creamy Ziti with Andouille Sausage and Mushrooms – This wonderful creamless creamy ziti pasta dinner is jam packed with delicious andouille sausages and mushrooms, and it’s prepared in one pot and on the stovetop!
HALLO! HALLO! Happy day! It’s Friday and I’m ready for it. I am ready for the weekend. No plans or anything like that. Just looking forward to the kids sleeping in tomorrow so I can get 15 minutes of TV and coffee in the early morning, before all the screams and demands start. Know whadda mean?
Other than that, it’s a good weekend for pasta. A pasta that is going to be prepared on the stove, in one pot, and in just 25-ish minutes. THIS is that!
No need to tell me. I know. I’ve been hitting the andouille sausage a bit too much lately, eh?
Both are very, very good. I hope you find the time to try them!
How do you make easy one pot ziti?
This creamy ziti pasta is what happens when you buy 30 pounds of chicken, 10 pounds of andouille sausage, beef, pork, etc… from your local farmer. He gets me every time. Oh! I got some honey, too. And jams, and pies. Lawwwwd, now that I think about it, I dropped some real cash over there. It’s cool. Gives me a variety to choose from when testing recipes for zee bloggy.
The combination of flavors in this are just too good, you will be tempted to eat it all right out of the pan. I know of someone who did just that and she was completely satisfied. She also used gluten free pasta once before and couldn’t be prouder of the outcome. You don’t have to do that, but you should know that it will work.
SO this makes a lot of food. Have a crowd coming by for the weekend? Make this. AND a big salad.
What you’re looking at is creamy ziti pasta prepared with sausages, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme in the same pot! WITH a very tasty, creamless creamy and velvety sauce. The trick is in using evaporated milk instead of heavy cream. I’ve also used skim milk in this go-to sauce of mine, but had to thicken it a bit with corn starch or flour.
The only thing left to tell you is to whip out the biggest skillet/pan that you have, slice up some sausages, mushrooms, and onions, mince thy garlic, and open up a can of evaporated milk. That’s all. Now, git ‘er done!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces low sodium , lite andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch coins*
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (cremini or baby portobella work great)
- 1 yellow onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 to 1.5 teaspoons dried thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups low sodium , fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup low fat 2% evaporated milk**
- 1 pound dry whole wheat ziti pasta (you can also use gluten free pasta)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pan or non stick skillet.
- Add sliced sausages, mushrooms, onion, and garlic; season with thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in water, chicken broth and evaporated milk; bring to a boil and add the pasta.
- Continue to cook for 10 minutes, or until pasta is done, stirring every 1-2 minutes to keep pasta from clumping together.
- Add parmesan cheese and stir until well incorporated and you have a smooth sauce.
- Remove from heat and sauce will thicken as it stands.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and a sprinkle of parmesan.
- Andouille sausage is high in sodium; please look for lite, low sodium chicken or turkey andouille sausage.
- If you want a thicker sauce, at the end of cooking the pasta, spoon 1 tablespoon of the evaporated milk sauce into a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon corn starch; whisk until thoroughly combined and stir it all back into the skillet; continue to cook and stir for about 1 minute.
WW SMART POINTS: 14
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy