With lime, garlic, veggies, mango and grilled shrimp, this Mango and Shrimp Salad is a zesty, filling and refreshing summer salad. Ready in just 25 minutes!
A Bright & Easy Summer Salad
It’s no secret that I love shrimp. Grilled shrimp, in fact, is my absolute favorite and I’m always looking for new recipes for grilled shrimp. (There’s only so many times a week I can make my coconut shrimp foil packets!)
This Mango & Shrimp Salad is now one of my absolute favorite shrimp recipes. It’s super simple to prepare and I guarantee you will not be able to keep your fork out of it. Plus, it’s zesty and filling, packed with fresh summer ingredients that makes this an ideal warm-weather side dish (or main course!)
With grilled shrimp, chunks of mango, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped red onions and a delicious dose of garlic, the recipe comes together in just 25 minutes. The best part is that all the flavors work so well together that there’s just no need for extra salad dressing. The lime juice and cilantro are just enough.
This salad is, in a word, FABULOUS. It’s versatile too, as the shrimp adds enough to the salad to make it a light lunch or easy dinner but it can easily pass as an appetizer or side dish too. Whenever you make it, just be prepared that you’ll be craving it for the rest of the week!
What You’ll Need
This mango shrimp salad is packed with whole, healthy ingredients including shrimp, mango and some garden fresh veggies.
- Large shrimp – Shrimp should be peeled and de-veined, though I do leave the tails on.
- Extra virgin olive oil – For cooking the shrimp.
- Salt and pepper – To taste, to flavor the shrimp
- Lime juice – Fresh only! No bottled juice for this recipe.
- Mango – A ripe mango peeled and cubed or thawed frozen mango chunks.
- Tomatoes – I prefer halved grape tomatoes but you can use other varieties as well.
- Onion – Adds flavor and a bit of crunch.
- Garlic – Adds SO much flavor to this simple salad.
- Fresh cilantro – Adds a pop of color and flavor.
- Lettuce – Chopped lettuce is the base of this quick and easy salad. You can also use spinach.
How to Make Mango and Shrimp Salad
This salad is as easy as 1-2-3! It’s ready and on the table in under 30 minutes, from prep to finish.
- Cook the shrimp. Combine shrimp, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Preheat grill pan to medium-high heat and cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and toss with lime juice.
- Prepare the salad. In a large bowl combine all other ingredients except for lettuce. Let stand for 20 minutes. Layer lettuce on a serving plate or bowl and add mango mixture.
- Serve. Add the grilled shrimp, squeeze lime juice over the salad and serve.
Tips for Success
One of the reasons this salad is so good is that it’s hard to mess up! Here are a few things I’ve discovered after making this a few times.
- Add more veggies. While I love this salad as it is, you can definitely add more vegetables. Avocado pairs well with mango and jalapeno would add a nice kick.
- Allow the mango mixture to rest. For the best flavor, give the mango and other ingredients at least 20 minutes, if not a few more, to sit and soak up all of the flavors.
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. Remove the shrimp from the heat as soon as it’s cooked through, leaving it in a hot pan or continuing to cook it will dry it out.
- Grill the shrimp. Feel free to cook this shrimp on the grill instead of in a grill pan! Just put the shrimp on a skewer to easy flipping.
You can make one big bowl of this mango and shrimp salad or build individual salads with it directly into serving bowls. You can serve this salad as a side dish or main course. Since it’s packed with protein from the shrimp, it’s a great light lunch or dinner! Maybe add a slice of bread and dinner is ready! Or serve it alongside some steak or chicken, so a heartier dinner.
While you can find the ingredients year-round, this is a summer salad for me. It’s light, bright and refreshing, and tastes even better with garden fresh vegetables from the local farmer’s market.
How to Store
Shrimp salad is best when enjoyed immediately. If you do plan to have leftovers, store the mango mixture and shrimp separately from the lettuce if possible. The lettuce may wilt with the juice of the other ingredients.
If needed, you can make the shrimp up to a day in advance and just reheat it quickly on the stovetop. Shrimp is best enjoyed warm and not ice cold on this salad. The mango mixture can also be made up to a day in advance, as long as you don’t add avocado or other ingredients that will go bad quickly.
Mango and Shrimp Salad
- 1 (12 ounce) bag large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe mango , peeled and cubed (you can also use frozen mango chunks, thawed)
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 cups chopped lettuce leaves
- In a mixing bowl, combine shrimp, olive oil, salt and pepper; toss to combine.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Add shrimp to grill pan and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove shrimp from pan and toss with lime juice; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cubed mangoes, grape tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice; toss to combine and let stand 20 minutes.
- Layer chopped lettuce leaves on a large serving plate or in a salad bowl; add mango mixture over the lettuce.
- Top with grilled shrimp.
- Squeeze lime juice over the entire salad and serve.