Italian Sausage Soup with Kale and Beans – Hearty and incredibly delicious soup prepared with Italian Sausage, onions, garlic, kale, and beans!
If I had a quarter for each time that this Italian Sausage soup is requested in our household, I’d be a thousandaire. Chock full of meat, beans, veggies, and much more, I can completely agree with their request. Actually, it’s more like a demand, but I’m trying to play nice.
Their second most-demanded favorite kale soup is my Smoked Sausage, Kale, and Potato Soup – it is out of this world!
I have this thing and it’s called, I like to get really up close and personal right from the start with my food. Just as you see it up there. I just need to get myself right up IN the bowl and take a look at that yummy food, and SMELL IT before it makes its journey into my mouth. I grab it, gaze upon its cheesy-meaty-and-bright-green-kale beauty, getting closer getting closer aaaaand boom. It’s in mah belleh!
Sidenote: My husband haaaaates that I have to smell my food – like, totally up close – before I start to eat. He thinks it’s gross. What he doesn’t know is that I also smell THE PLATE before I put any food on it… anyone else as weird as me?!? Please, do tell!
This soup, though, is pretty freakin’ awesome. Prepare to have your mouth hugged by this zesty, super flavorful, very traditional, Mediterranean fabulousness.
How to Make Italian Sausage Soup
- We start by removing the sausage casings and transferring said sausage to a hot pan to get it all nicely browned.
- In the meantime, we are going to also start cooking up our veggies; onions, carrots, celery, garlic, abc, xyz.
- Then, add our browned meat to the vegetables, together with the beans.
- A nice warm broth bath will follow, and 30 minutes later this rustic old-world soup will be added to your list of faves.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Italian Sausage Soup with Kale and Beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed you can also use Italian turkey sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, rinsed and sliced
- 3 celery stalks, rinsed and sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 cans white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 to 8 cups low sodium, low fat beef or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- 8 slices crusty baguette, optional
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add sausage and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. or until browned, stirring occasionally to break into smaller pieces.
- Transfer with a slotted spoon to a plate and set aside.
- Pour remaining olive oil to the soup pot and heat it up.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, and Italian seasoning; cook for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in garlic, salt, pepper, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Mix in kale and cook until it starts to wilt, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in beans, prepared sausage, and broth; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes to combine all the flavors.
- Remove from heat and take out the bay leaf and sprig of thyme.
- Divide soup among bowls and top with cheese.
- Serve with a slice of baguette. (optional)
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
42 comments on “Italian Sausage Soup with Kale and Beans”
This is fantastic. I increase the kale to two bunches and reduce the beans to one can. I love the flavors. For absolutely loves it. I sometimes add a dollop of jarred, pesto, and shredded Parmesan cheese on top to make it extra deck in it and restaurant quality. This is my all-time favorite soup. It freezes well.
That’s great! I’m very glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
Made last nt. Very good
I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thank YOU! 🙂
How well does this soup freeze? It was delicious but can’t eat it all fast enough!
Yay! Happy you liked it! 😊 Yes, this soup does freeze well. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then just thaw it in the fridge overnight.
Made this soup for dinner tonight. Husband agrees it is delicious!
Will definitely be making this again and again over the winter.
I did buy a mixed package of sausage with sweet and hot. We like the little hits of heat.
That’s great to hear! I’m very glad you and your husband enjoyed this soup! Thank you for chiming in! 🙂
Love this recipe! I addded more kale this time and trying with sweet Italian sausage. Can you do a crock pot version?
I am about to embark on making this dish, but I I think I am going to add some sliced roasted red potatoes w/rosemary and garlic to the soup. My potatoes usually come out slightly under done, so it would be perfect for the soup, I think. If anyone has any objections, let me know now.