Garlicky and Cheesy Crispy Potato Skins topped with a delicious mixture of potatoes, three cheeses, sour cream, crushed croutons and green onions.
Okay. I’m probably pushing the limits here. Can we just get it out of the way? I know. I posted a potato recipe about 10 minutes ago. I know. BUT, potatoes are in, maaaaayon. They’re the it thing this season. And, they were on sale.
Three 5-lb. bags for 4$. Cha-ching! Now that I wrote that, I feel bad for the potato farmer…
But then I went to Target and spent 20 times more than I saved at the grocery store a few minutes earlier. Meh.
You know. I can seriously live on appetizers. One of the best things about end-of-football-season is … that it’s almost over ;-), and the next best thing is all the love and creativity we pour into the appetizers that we will serve on the last game-day. What’s better is that we can load up on the carbs that day and it’s actually ay-okay! It’s like a calorie-free night! Well, it is in my book.
If there’s one thing that I’m craving during this crazy-freezing polar vortex, (besides lots of wine), it is starchy, carby, load-me-up food. This Loaded Baked Potato Casserole made it to the dinner table thrice in 2 weeks. And my recipe for Macedonian Moussaka was last night’s dinner. With a large side of Feta Cheese Pastry. OH my YUM!
I’m thinking soup and salad should be dinner for the next 10 days. Should … key word.
I’m not sure if I can fully convey just how much I love these potatoes! They’re crispy. Like, real crispy! Baking them 3 times will do that. Adding croutons in the mixture will also add to the crunch. I wasn’t sure what cheese to go with so I added all three… buhlieve me, noone ever complains about “too much cheese”. Never. And noone.
I swear (just a little) I’ll give you a break on the potato recipes after this.
P.S. DA BEARS!!
P.S.S. At least the Cheeseheads aren’t heading to the Super Bowl, either! 😉
- 4 russet potatoes
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups garlic croutons , crushed, divided
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line baking sheet with foil.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut each potato in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Leave about 1/4-inch of potato flesh in each half.
- Cut the halved-potatoes in half so you have 16 wedges.
- Place back on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the potato mixture.
- Mash potato with a potato masher or with the back of a fork.
- Combine mashed potatoes, sour cream, green onions, parsley, cheeses and 1 cup crushed croutons; mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the potato skins, pressing into the skins.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crushed croutons.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Looking for more appetizers? See below!