Garlicky and Cheesy Crispy Potato Skins topped with a delicious mixture of potatoes, three cheeses, sour cream, crushed croutons and green onions.
Okay. I’m probably pushing the limits here. Can we just get it out of the way? I know. I posted a potato recipe about 10 minutes ago. I know. BUT, potatoes are in, maaaaayon. They’re the it thing this season. And, they were on sale.
Three 5-lb. bags for 4$. Cha-ching! Now that I wrote that, I feel bad for the potato farmer…
But then I went to Target and spent 20 times more than I saved at the grocery store a few minutes earlier. Meh.
You know. I can seriously live on appetizers. One of the best things about end-of-football-season is … that it’s almost over ;-), and the next best thing is all the love and creativity we pour into the appetizers that we will serve on the last game-day. What’s better is that we can load up on the carbs that day and it’s actually ay-okay! It’s like a calorie-free night! Well, it is in my book.
If there’s one thing that I’m craving during this crazy-freezing polar vortex, (besides lots of wine), it is starchy, carby, load-me-up food. This Loaded Baked Potato Casserole made it to the dinner table thrice in 2 weeks. And my recipe for Macedonian Moussaka was last night’s dinner. With a large side of Feta Cheese Pastry. OH my YUM!
I’m thinking soup and salad should be dinner for the next 10 days. Should … key word.
I’m not sure if I can fully convey just how much I love these potatoes! They’re crispy. Like, real crispy! Baking them 3 times will do that. Adding croutons in the mixture will also add to the crunch. I wasn’t sure what cheese to go with so I added all three… buhlieve me, noone ever complains about “too much cheese”. Never. And noone.
I swear (just a little) I’ll give you a break on the potato recipes after this.
P.S. DA BEARS!!
P.S.S. At least the Cheeseheads aren’t heading to the Super Bowl, either! 😉
Garlicky Cheesy Crispy Potato Skins
- 4 russet potatoes
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 green onions , thinly sliced, white parts only
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups garlic croutons , crushed, divided
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line baking sheet with foil.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Cut each potato in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
- Leave about 1/4-inch of potato flesh in each half.
- Cut the halved-potatoes in half so you have 16 wedges.
- Place back on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the potato mixture.
- Mash potato with a potato masher or with the back of a fork.
- Combine mashed potatoes, sour cream, green onions, parsley, cheeses and 1 cup crushed croutons; mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the potato skins, pressing into the skins.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crushed croutons.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.
Looking for more appetizers? See below!