Easy Soba Noodle Soup Recipe – Simple and easy 30-minute soba noodle soup prepared with mushrooms, noodles, and greens.
Oh, haiyyy. Just gimme a minute to slurp up the last of my soba noodle soup.
Soba Noodle Soup, or Toshikoshi Soba, symbolizes good luck in the new year and is traditionally eaten by the Japanese on the 31st of December. Thus the reason for sharing my simple recipe for this flavorful soup only days away from the new year.
I’m so superstitious that I’ll do almost anything I’m called to do so long as it’s supposed to bring me good luck. And when I say good luck, I actually mean, great health, happy days, and sleepFULL nights.
A fat bank account is also welcome…
Good Luck charm aside, this soup proves that nothing warms the soul better than a homemade healthy dinner infused with Asian flavors.
While this may not be an authentic Japanese recipe for Toshikoshi Soba – that’s why I call it simple and easy – the taste of it comes pretty darn close. The hot broth infused with ginger, garlic and soy sauce is reason enough to bring this noodle soup to a New Year’s Eve dinner table near you!
As long as you like mushrooms, hard boiled eggs, and greens in your soup, we should be good to go. Here’s what we will need to do:
- Slice up some ‘shrooms and give them a sizzle in your soup pot.
- Add ginger and garlic to the mushrooms with a nice drizzle of soy sauce.
- Drown all of that in some low sodium vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Drop the noodles in, followed up by some greens and carrots.
- For a finishing touch, please prepare some hard boiled eggs, scallions, and a tablespoon of toasted sesame seeds.
- Sit down and slurp up!
Looking for more New Year Good Fortune recipes? Then you need to try my Hoppin’ John Skillet Recipe! It is a classic Southern dish with black eyed peas, ham and rice, and it’s awesommmme!
LOOKING FOR MORE HEALTHY SOUPS?
- Cabbage Soup with Rice
- Instant Pot Chicken Zoodle Soup
- Chickpea Vegetable Soup
- Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Light Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
A simple and easy 30-minute soba noodle soup prepared with mushrooms, noodles, and greens.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 to 6 ounces soba noodles you can also use whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 bunch (about 8 leaves) swiss chard, trimmed and washed you can also use a head of bok choy
- 2 small carrots, shredded, for garnish
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- 4 hard boiled eggs, halved
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
Heat olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
Stir in garlic and ginger; continue to cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add soy sauce and stir; cook for 3 minutes or until mushrooms are soft.
Stir in vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
Add noodles and greens; cook until the noodles are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
Remove from heat and ladle into soup bowls.
Garnish with shredded carrots, scallions, hard boiled eggs, and toasted sesame seeds.
WW Freestyle Smart Points: 9