Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake – All the beautiful flavors of a Cinnamon Roll in a delicious and crumbly coffee cake topped with a smooth Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting.
Can you believe Fall is like 5 minutes from now? Isn’t that too soon?? In my ideal world, it would be sun and more sun all year round. Leaves on the trees for forever and ever. Birds chirpin’, flowers be bloomin’, tan lines be rulin’, all year long! And now I sound like a country song…
Having said that, not sure what I’m doing in Indiana, *still*, buuuuut I’m HERE and I’m trying really hard not to think about what comes after Fall… Take a peek. Brrrrrr!
I also must mention the decision I recently made. Two decisions. Maybe, three. One, for the reeeeest of my life I’m going to eat THIS cake. Two, for forever and beyond, I’m going to frost everything with this Cream Cheese Frosting. Three, from now to eternity, I am going to avoid the scale. Oyyyy…
I don’t need to go into detail about what’s before you? Sometimes I just don’t have words. Sometimes there’s just nothing to say. I could try to tell how you much this Cinnamon Roll, or this Coffee Cake, OR BOTH, rocks, but you can look at that silky frosting, and that lovely swirl, and you know? Drool, perhaps?? I just did. I mean, it’s only your ordinary coffee cake filled with a spiced cinnamon-brown-sugar-mixture in the center AND on the bottom. Also, there’s Frosting on top. No biggie.
It started off so innocently. All I wanted was ONE dang Cinnamon Roll from Cinnabon!! But, one of my friends called and said she was coming over – that was a game-changer. Instead of hopping over to the mall, I grabbed the flour sac and got to work. Bada Bing Bada Boom, we have CAKE that tastes just like a cinnamon roll! Besides, it takes too loooooong to make cinnamon rolls, but the cake comes together in a pinch! You’re welcome. xo
Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
For the Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
For the Cinnamon Swirl Filling
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
For the Icing
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; beat in the butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, and milk; whisk until incorporated.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Beat the batter for 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine filling ingredients and whisk until completely combined.
- Pour half of cake batter into previously prepared bundt pan and sprinkle filling on top of the batter and swirl lightly with a knife.
- Add the rest of batter and swirl again lightly, reaching down into the filling layer.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Do not overbake.
- Remove cake from oven, and using a butter knife, release the edges of the cake.
- Cool cake in pan for 5 minutes; invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In the meantime, whisk icing ingredients together until smooth and drizzle on warm cake. Start with 2 tablespoons milk and add more IF needed.
- Sprinkle top with cinnamon.