***This is an old recipe from the Diethood archives updated with new photos and content***
Caprese Cheese Bombs – Soft and flavorful ready-to-bake biscuits filled with a delicious Caprese mixture of sliced tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, and fresh basil.
Look at those little hands with half-manicured nails… she lurrrrves my cheese bombs. On the other hand, my big hands love ’em even more.
HEY, you guys! *waving* How goes it? Things are great out here. My kids don’t want to go back home. We’re still in Macedonia, rockin’, and my kids have decided that we need to move here. I think it has something to do with this beautiful country and our super awesome family. AND the fact that both, mom and dad, are not at work.
And let’s not talk about the food. OHemgee… my treadmill will be certainly surprised to see all of us. I’m going to insist on strapping myself to it and just run for daaaaaays.
I know what you’re thinking… blah blah blah, you’re having a good time, but give us the low down on these cheese bombs, NOW!
Besides, I can’t be the only one that gets excited about them.
Years ago, I made these for ya and then you all loved ’em and I decided to bring them back to life.
I’ll tell you what – You will never want to eat a plain “biscuit” again. Especially the store-bought ones. I buy them occasionally, but I always find better use for ’em. Like these Jelly Donut Holes. They are amaaaaaze!
This time around I was strapped for time and we had some friends coming over with their kids.
What to do…what to do…
It was a moment of Chopped; I opened up my fridge and to the left was a tube of ready-to-bake biscuits. On the top shelf of the fridge was a plastic container filled with my favorite – a Caprese salad mixture without the dressing. I’m always Caprese-ready. We talked about my obsession when I posted my recipe for Caprese Bread Pudding.
So, after a few eliminations, I decided to grab those biscuits and fill ’em with tomatoes, mozzarella and basil. How can you go wrong with that combo?! The verdict, all around, was very, very positive. Truly, these caprese cheese bombs are one flavorful, soft, delicious (large) bite.
Need I tell you that my Chopped moment was a winner? Probably not. 😉
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh new content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
- 1 tube (10-count) Ready-To-Bake Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 small roma tomatoes , sliced into thin rounds (you might not use all slices)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- sprinkle of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line baking sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray; set aside.
- Flatten each biscuit-dough with the palm of your hand to about a 4-inch diameter.
- Evenly divide shredded mozzarella and add in the center of each dough-disc.
- Top with tomato slice (only 1 to 2 slices will fit), and sliced basil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap each dough-disc closed, shaping it into a ball.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet, seam side down, and arrange the rolls so that they are touching each other.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolk and water.
- Brush each roll with egg wash.
- Sprinkle a bit of kosher salt and pepper on top of each roll.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until tops are golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve immediately.