This Grilled Pizza is the best way to make pizza at home! It’s crispy, grilled flatbread pizza layered with cream cheese, chicken, mushrooms and onions. This is the next best thing to a pizza made in a wood fired oven. The heat and hint of smoke from the grill take this grilled pizza to the next level.
EASY HOMEMADE GRILLED PIZZA
We have convinced ourselves to believe that pizza is not a good meal choice because, it’s considered “junk food.” Well, it’s junk food when you buy it from a fast food place, but homemade pizza is not junk food. AMiright?!
Really though, pizza can actually be a wonderfully balanced meal. Stay with me here. You have a thin flat bread crust, topped with fresh ingredients, such as veggies, herbs, a little bit of cheese, and your choice of protein; chicken, turkey, sausage, etc…
For an even lighter alternative, grab my recipe for Keto Pizza Margherita. 😍
WHAT MAKES GRILLED PIZZA SO GOOD?
We love to grill and we love pizza, so I decided to make grilled pizza. 🙌
Since the best pizza is almost always prepared in a wood-fired hot oven, grilling pizza has to be the closest method to achieving that greatness. The grill can get pretty hot resulting in a delicious pizza that is chewy with a crispy crust, and it might be the best pizza you’ll ever have. 🍴
Besides, who wants to heat up the oven to make pizza in the middle of summer?! Now, you won’t have to. Fire up the grill!
Hot Tip: When grilling pizza, you need to have all your ingredients prepped and ready to go.
- Refrigerated pizza dough – you can also use homemade pizza dough
- Olive oil
- Cream cheese
- Chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- red onions
- shredded Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Grilled Pizza:
- The first thing we’re going to do is roll out the dough on top of a lightly floured cookie sheet, and press it down with your fingers to flatten it a bit.
- Then, slide the dough onto the preheated grill and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until it starts to brown on the bottom.
- Remove pizza crust from grill; flip it over, brush grilled-side with olive oil, and spread with cream cheese.
- Next, layer all of the ingredients on top.
- Pop the pizza back onto the grill for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
- Remove from grill; let stand couple minutes before cutting and serving.
How to Store Grilled Pizza
- The best way to store this pizza is to stack and wrap: Place a single layer of slices on a dinner plate. Place a sheet of wax, foil or parchment paper. Then keep stacking, alternating pizza and paper, until all the pizza is on the plate. Tightly wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. Keep in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
- Freezer: You can also freeze your pizza. Prepare the pizza the same way and store in the freezer for up to 2 months. To avoid freezer burn, double wrap the pizzas. You can do two layers of plastic wrap or one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of foil. Lay pizzas flat in the freezer.
Reheating Frozen Pizza
When reheating your frozen pizza it requires a method that will crisp up the crust. Thus, you want to reheat the pizza using the dry heat of a hot conventional oven to crisp the crust and melt the cheese.
More Pizza Recipes
Tools Used in this Recipe
Crispy and grilled flatbread pizza layered with cream cheese, chicken, mushrooms and onions.
- 1 refrigerated pizza dough
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 ⅓ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 ounces cooked/grilled chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Olive oil
Preheat the grill to HIGH.
Prepare the dough and shape it on top of a cutting board or a flat cookie sheet.
Lightly flour the surface so that the dough does not stick.
Once the grill is hot, brush the grates with olive oil.
Slide the pizza dough off the baking sheet and onto the grill.
Close the grill and grill the dough for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until browned on the bottom.
Check if the dough is browned underneath. If it’s not browned, give it another minute.
Take the dough off the grill with a pair of tongs and put it back on top of the cookie sheet or cutting board.
Turn the pizza crust over, browned-side up.
Brush with a bit of olive oil, then spread the cream cheese over the entire pizza crust.
Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese, red onions, shredded cooked chicken, and mushrooms.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Put the pizza back on the grill.
Turn the heat down to medium-high, and close the lid.
Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
Pull the pizza off the grill onto a cutting board and let it rest for a minute or so before cutting and serving.