Beef Stew with Sweet Peas and Tomatoes – Flavorful, hearty beef stew with sweet peas and tomatoes.
A.K.A. Sunday Food.
Hi, Friends! Happy Sunday! What fun things did you do/are you still doing this weekend?
Me, you ask?? Oh. I went to the Circus!! I had never been and I am so glad I finally went. That place was FUN! Especially the part when I ate all the cotton candy. Happy ME! 🙂
Ended the night with a glass of wine and Netflix. And White Castle. I know. EW! But I was hangry. That cotton candy hit the spot, but not all of it, you know what I mean?
One thing I didn’t do this weekend was make this Beef Stew again. This stuff is pretty amazing. Growing up, this was on our dinner table once a week.
I was also the only kid that looked forward to eating peas. Peas in broth. The other kids were amazed by my talent.
For the last month or so, not only have we been living on crock pot dinners and loads of my Spinach Tortellini Tomato Soup, but along with that we’ve been making some mean stews.
Which, by the way, stews and soups? What’s the difference again? One is thicker than the other? More veggies and meats in stews? Right?
Anywayz. Even though this recipe is ridiculously easy, and each one of you probably has their own version of it, it’s all the random flavors that totally make it. Beef, peas, tomatoes, onions… the combination is SO GOOD!
This is what winter food is all about. And so is our weather right now. Snowvember is killin’ it out there. All I want to do is hate on it, but I’m probably just going to eat, instead.
It’s basically the only answer to nasty weather. It fits into my idea of moderation and balance.
Nice weather = Salads. Bad weather = Food.
Enjoy the rest of your day and make this awesomeness for your Sunday Din Din! It’s a one-pot deal. YAY!
Beef Stew with Sweet Peas and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 1 large carrot , cut into thin rounds
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cans sweet peas , well rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 box (32-ounces) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.
- Add the beef stew meat to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned; about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove beef stew meat from pot and transfer to a plate; set aside.
- Add diced onion and carrots to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender; about 5 minutes or so.
- Return the meat to the pot.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add peas and tomatoes; stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and continue to cook uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove and discard the thyme sprigs and the bay leaf.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Ladle into bowls.