You are really special.
Special because I can vegetate all day – in my pajamas – and I won’t feel an ounce of guilt about it. Special because I can enjoy my girls without even thinking about the sink full of dishes. (Okay, that’s a lie. I can’t stand it when the sink is full!) Special because I can throw food into my slow cooker and create a delicious chili. Special because we, our 4-member family, can finally have a meal together.
Thank you, Sunday, for being you.
P.S. Me thinks you should be 48-hours long.
In other exciting Sunday-news, I think I know what you want on this bitterly cold day – Chili. A warm and hearty bowl of slow cooker chili. With sour cream and cheddar cheese on top. Right?! The cold air outside surely isn’t calling for a bowl of ice cream, now is it? But then again, it could be 50-below-zero and I would still opt for a bowl of ice cream. I LOVE that stuff!
About that chili. I think I know the secret to a really really good chili – it takes time, patience, and a whole lotta love. Sure you can make this chili in your beautiful dutch oven in an hour or so, but why bother. Just throw it all in the crock pot, put the lid on, and forget about it. Come back in 6 hours and serve.
One more secret… cinnamon. Call me cray cray, but I love me some cinnamon in my chili.
Slow Cooker Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1- pound ground beef chuck
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (4 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 large carrots , cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in garlic and meat; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until meat is browned.
- Remove from heat and put the beef mixture into the pot of your slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, excluding the toppings, to the slow cooker pot.
- Set it on HIGH and cook for 3 to 4 hours, or cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Ladle into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese.