orange bundt cakewp Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth
Let’s talk cakes.

I feel as though cakes really have a mind of their own. A stubborn mind. And, if it had a real face, there would be a constant smirk on it.

I think that if a cake could talk it would tell you to go away and leave her alone. She would tell you that she is too pretty and too good for you to even try making her. Then, when you do make her all perfect, she wants to tell you to buzz off.

Anyone else feel that way about cakes?

For that reason, when it comes down to cakes, I almost always turn to a reliable source.

orange cakewp Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth
This month’s #BundtAMonth challenge was to create a bundt cake with citrus. I went straight to David Leite’s Orange-Olive Oil Cake because it is one of my favorite citrus cakes, ever. This particular cake has made its appearance a few times around here. It is a large, rich, very dense cake that could serve 15 to 20 people.

I served this Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake on Christmas Day, and it satisfied 14 guests. Best part was that I still had some cake left over for the next day.

I don’t think I have to mention that this is a fabulous cake. If I had to sum it up in a few words it would be: silky, moist, citrusy. A friend of coffee, tea, or milk.  Even a shot of whiskey. Why not.

Chef Leite uses navel oranges for his cake. I have used both, oranges and store-bought orange juice. There is a slight difference in taste; that is, the taste is more profound when you use fresh orange juice. I urge you to hop on over to their recipe and read about their adventures in making this cake. It will make you smile and realize that we amateurs are not the only ones that have trouble with making the perfect cake. Encouraging, isn’t it? icon smile Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth

Please click here for the recipe.

orange cake3wp Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth

Scroll to the bottom of this post and check out the rest of the #BundtAMonth participants.

If you would like to participate in January’s #BundtAMonth, here’s what you should do:
- Use mandarin, orange, Citrus lime, yuzu, lemons, Key lime or ANYTHING citrus – and bake us a Bundt for Tangy January
- Post it before January 31, 2013.
- Use the #BundtAMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read #BundtAMonth: Chocolate Cinnamon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts.

Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from over 350 Bundt cake recipes.

Please check out the rest of the #BundtAMonth participants:

Almond Clementine Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry

Citrus Bundt Cake with Sparkling Wine and Fiori di Sicilia by Laura from The Spiced Life

Citrus Cocktail Mini Bundt Cakes by Renee from Magnolia Days

Citrus Lust Mini Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd by Stacy from Food Lust People Love

Dried Tomato Cherry & Yuzu Cake by Ann from Anncoo Journal

Glazed Lemon Bundt Cake by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom

Grapefruit Poppyseed Bundt Cake by Deb from Knitstamatic

Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles

Lemon Bundt with Lemon Curd by Holly from A Baker’s House

Mini Orange Bundts with a Grand Marnier Glaze by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands

Orange Chocolate Marble Bundt by Paula from Vintage Kitchen

Orange Olive Oil Cake by Katerina from Diethood

Orange Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street

Soaked and Glazed Lemon Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious

Zesty Lemon Bundt Cake by Anita from Hungry Couple NYC

pixel Orange and Olive Oil Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth

44 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. baker street January 20, 2013 at 11:26 PM - Reply

Now that’s my kinda cake! Incredibly irresistible! Thanks for baking along, Kate! :)

2. Nami | Just One Cookbook January 20, 2013 at 11:19 PM - Reply

So beautiful! I really need to bake at least one bundt cake this year. If you have absolute favorite brand of cake mold that I should get, please let me know! Lovely clicks!

3. Charlie January 20, 2013 at 9:00 PM - Reply

I never made an olive oil cake even though I always think it sounds delicious when I see a recipe. The orange seems like a perfect match for the olive oil!

4. Ann@Anncoo Journal January 18, 2013 at 8:18 AM - Reply

Love this pretty bundt cake! Pretty clicks too!!

5. Nancy R January 17, 2013 at 5:26 PM - Reply

sorry……..I mean cake not make. :-)

6. Nancy R January 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM - Reply

I am loving the sound of this make already Kate. I was going to make a lemon yogurt cake for my husband’s b’day today, however I will make this one instead. He loves cakes with citrus flavours so this is perfect. Thanks! :-)

7. Rachael (Fuji Mama) January 17, 2013 at 12:22 PM - Reply

Absolutely gorgeous!!

8. Laura January 16, 2013 at 11:31 PM - Reply

You are a better person than me. ;) Gorgeous cake!

9. Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom January 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM - Reply

Kate, your bundt is absolutely beautiful!!! and the cake texture looks perfect. . I am definitely pinning this and will give this recipe a try, thank you!!!

10. Stacy January 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM - Reply

Just beautiful, Katerina! Someone recently gave me some good olive oil and I have been looking for a cake recipe using it. There are so many on the internet but I trust your personal experience and yours came out so lovely! Pinning on my Recipes to Try board. Thank you!

11. Holly January 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM - Reply

Love that you talk to cakes– me too!!– and this cake turned out beautifully! Wonderful photographs too!

12. Stacy January 16, 2013 at 9:32 PM - Reply

Gorgeous food photography, Kate! You are improving every single day…and, I adore your props. Etsy ROCKS! Found some antique French wire cooling racks & great silverplated place setting pieces from a food stylist based in Tinley Park. (Would LOVE to raid her prop closet, LOL!) LOVE oranges, LOVE olive oil and LOVE Bundt Cakes! Thank you. xoxo

13. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen January 16, 2013 at 9:06 PM - Reply

Orange and olive oil is wonderful together, I’m all for a slice of this and a nice cup of tea.

14. Laura Dembowski (@piesandplots) January 16, 2013 at 8:39 PM - Reply

That looks lovely! I love that it is so simple. Bundt cakes are a lot of fun to make.

15. Liz January 16, 2013 at 7:07 PM - Reply

A simple bundt cake with a dusting of powdered sugar is one of my favorites! And the orange flavor sounds divine!

16. Tara January 16, 2013 at 6:01 PM - Reply

I have never used olive oil in a cake before and yours looks stunningly gorgeous. Amazing photography too! Thanks so much for sharing.

17. Shea Goldstein January 16, 2013 at 5:22 PM - Reply

Hey there, pretty girl!! As usual, your baking blows me away – as does your photography. xoxo!!

• Kate@Diethood January 16, 2013 at 5:34 PM - Reply

HI sweetheart!!! So happy to “see” you! xoxo

18. Laura (Tutti Dolci) January 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM - Reply

So gorgeous, I love the light dusting of powdered sugar!

19. Anita at Hungry Couple January 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM - Reply

Beautiful! And…very classy. ;)

20. Averie @Averie Cooks January 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM - Reply

It looks like an amazing cake and I want to make an orange cake soon…just not quite this big but the flavor sounds awesome!

21. Ramona January 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM - Reply

That is one beautiful slice of bundt cake. I always get a dark exterior to my bundt cakes, but this is perfectly golden. I can also see how moist it was… YUM! :)

22. Angie@Angie's Recipes January 16, 2013 at 10:55 AM - Reply

A very beautiful bundt cake, Kate. I love the smooth and light texture.

23. Kate | Food Babbles January 16, 2013 at 10:43 AM - Reply

Oh my goodness!! First thing first, you pictures. STUNNING! Seriously, outstanding. I also love your props. So unique. I wish I had things like that and could take pictures like these. Beautiful! Second, this cake sounds amazing. I made an orange olive oil cake with cardamom last winter and loved it. Yours sounds like something I’d truly enjoy. Definitely bookmarking this.

• Kate@Diethood January 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM - Reply

Thanks, Kate!! I got the props on Etsy… a box of like 15 vintage kitchen toys for 30 bucks!

24. Valerie January 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM - Reply

Cakes can smell fear, especially those wily bundt cakes. Yours looks perfect! No sign of pan chaffing! :D I love olive oil cakes, definitely bookmarking this one.

25. Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) January 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM - Reply

I love citrus and olive oil based cakes and I LOVE the props you used for these shots! Beautiful!

26. Steph January 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM - Reply

This is stunning! Your pictures are so gorgeous!

• Kate@Diethood January 16, 2013 at 10:00 AM - Reply

Thank you SO MUCH, Steph! I truly appreciate it!!

27. Kristy January 16, 2013 at 9:13 AM - Reply

This does look moist. I love a good citrus cake!

28. kirsten@FarmFreshFeasts January 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM - Reply

I still have navels and tangerines from the Band Fruit Fundraiser, so this cake looks right up my alley.

Thanks!

• Kate@Diethood January 16, 2013 at 8:25 AM - Reply

Kirsten, if you have a chance, make it! It is really really good… kind of like a pound cake, but citrusy. AND it feeds like 15+ mouths. :-D

29. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen January 16, 2013 at 8:17 AM - Reply

I´m amazed how olive oil is a normal ingredient in cakes today, not that I´m complaining! This is a wonderful cake Kate!

30. Jen @ Savory Simple January 16, 2013 at 7:16 AM - Reply

The extent of my conversation with cakes is typically “I’m going to eat you now” or “come to mamma.” That’s the conversation I would have with this cake, anyway. And the cake would be like “FINE”

• Kate@Diethood January 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM - Reply