Flourless, moist, and delicious carrot cake frosted with a delicate and creamy mascarpone frosting.
Remember that one time when I said I never get the flu! Remember? And that other time when I asked, what are sinus headaches?!?! In the same week, the flu found me AND I discovered my sinuses. Damn this winter!
Honestly? I am really, seriously, very over this freezing weather. I’m done with it. We need to break up.
Last week, during my timeout with the flu, all I did was pray that I would wake up without a headache, binged on a Shahs of Sunset marathon, and ate my weight in this incredible Carrot Cake.
Also? Remember that one time when I said, “Carrots in a CAKE?! VEGETABLES in a CAKE?! EWWWWWWWW!!!”. Such a fool, I was…
OR how about that other time when I said, “Watermelon?! EWWWWWWWWW!!!”. Okay, well, that still stands. I.Hate.Watermelon.
Friends. This cake. It was love at first bite. It blew me away.
However, this cake? … this cake is like no other. There’s no chocolate here. There’s no berries here, either. Yet somehow it is one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. It’s dreamy. It is light as air, but sweet as sugar.
Then there’s the frosting. Oh my heavens!! I didn’t want to go with the classic cream cheese frosting, thus I opted for something similar, yet different.
This Mascarpone Frosting is delicate, creamy, and deliciously indulgent. A MUST try. Don’t skip it – it pulls the whole thing together.
All of these flavors put together take this cake waaaaay over the top. I think you will love it.
- 4 eggs , separated
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar , divided
- zest of one medium orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large carrots , finely grated (about 2 cups grated carrots)
- 1-3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tub (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter and dust with flour; set aside.
- In your mixer's bowl combine egg whites and tartar; beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, salt and vanilla; beat at medium-high speed until incorporated and light in color; about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in grated carrots and a third of the egg whites mixture; fold until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and almond flour; continue to fold until incorporated.
- Pour batter into previously prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake starts to pull away from the sides.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
- With mixer on medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In separate bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar; beat until smooth.
- Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture; continue to fold until completely incorporated.
- Spread over cooled cake.
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy