Flourless, moist, and delicious carrot cake frosted with a delicate and creamy mascarpone frosting.
Remember that one time when I said I never get the flu! Remember? And that other time when I asked, what are sinus headaches?!?! In the same week, the flu found me AND I discovered my sinuses. Damn this winter!
Honestly? I am really, seriously, very over this freezing weather. I’m done with it. We need to break up.
Last week, during my timeout with the flu, all I did was pray that I would wake up without a headache, binged on a Shahs of Sunset marathon, and ate my weight in this incredible Carrot Cake.
Also? Remember that one time when I said, “Carrots in a CAKE?! VEGETABLES in a CAKE?! EWWWWWWWW!!!”. Such a fool, I was…
OR how about that other time when I said, “Watermelon?! EWWWWWWWWW!!!”. Okay, well, that still stands. I.Hate.Watermelon.
Friends. This cake. It was love at first bite. It blew me away.
However, this cake? … this cake is like no other. There’s no chocolate here. There’s no berries here, either. Yet somehow it is one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. It’s dreamy. It is light as air, but sweet as sugar.
Then there’s the frosting. Oh my heavens!! I didn’t want to go with the classic cream cheese frosting, thus I opted for something similar, yet different.
This Mascarpone Frosting is delicate, creamy, and deliciously indulgent. A MUST try. Don’t skip it – it pulls the whole thing together.
All of these flavors put together take this cake waaaaay over the top. I think you will love it.
Flourless Carrot Cake with Mascarpone Frosting
- 4 eggs , separated
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar , divided
- zest of one medium orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large carrots , finely grated (about 2 cups grated carrots)
- 1-3/4 cups almond flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tub (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Grease an 8-inch springform pan with butter and dust with flour; set aside.
- In your mixer's bowl combine egg whites and tartar; beat at high speed until soft peaks form.
- Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form; set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, orange zest, cinnamon, salt and vanilla; beat at medium-high speed until incorporated and light in color; about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Using a spatula, fold in grated carrots and a third of the egg whites mixture; fold until thoroughly combined.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites and almond flour; continue to fold until incorporated.
- Pour batter into previously prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and the cake starts to pull away from the sides.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely.
- In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
- With mixer on medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In separate bowl, combine mascarpone cheese and powdered sugar; beat until smooth.
- Gently fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture; continue to fold until completely incorporated.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.