Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe – Awesome dessert with crumbly biscuits that are topped and filled with strawberries and whipped cream.
Want to know how we celebrate the arrival of Spring?
Ta Daaaaahm! WITH Strawberry Shortcakes!
This classic strawberry shortcake recipe has tender, homemade biscuits layered with sweet strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
This is how we welcomed the beautiful season of rebirth and renewal. The season that’s going to take away the winter blues and lead us on that path toward the long awaited sunshine of gorgeous summer days.
I am so excited to know that spring has finally arrived. Even if the weather outside is barely 40 degrees… I don’t care. It will get better. Soon.
The strawberries I picked up from the Farmers Market had to be used up somehow before they went bad, and the vote was between a strawberry trifle or a strawberry shortcake.
As you can see, the shortcakes won. The trifle can wait.
Besides, the strawberry trifle does not translate well on photos. I tried it once before and it was a disaster.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
- These strawberry shortcakes are pretty to look at and even better to eat. I wanted to keep this recipe simple and traditional thus, for the cakes, I made biscuits with a bit of flour, some cream cheese and orange zest. Beautiful.
- The strawberries sat in their juices with some sugar for about an hour, and the whipped cream came out perfect. I chilled it for about 30 minutes before I whipped it with my mixer. That’s the secret – chill it before you whip it.
Awesome dessert with crumbly biscuits that are topped and filled with strawberries and whipped cream.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 ounces (1/2 of a 8 oz. package) cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing the tops
- 1 1/2 lbs . of fresh strawberries , hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a large bowl.
- Add in the cream cheese and mash it with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of milk and form a dough.
- Flour hands and divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Place the dough balls 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet or silpat.
- With a glass flatten the dough balls to 1/2 inch thickness and brush the tops with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out the biscuits and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
- In the meantime prepare the strawberries.
- Once you have cleaned and sliced them, take 1/3 of the strawberries and mash them with a potato masher.
- Add in the rest of the strawberries and pour in the sugar.
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the whipped cream by combining together the whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
- Assemble the shortcakes by cutting the biscuits in half.
- Place a tablespoon of the strawberry mixture on the bottom half of the biscuit and top with whipped cream.
- Cover with the top half of the biscuit, and top it with whipped cream and a few more strawberries.
- Serve immediately or put the cakes in the refrigerator until ready to use.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 11