Strawberry Shortcakes Recipe – Awesome summer dessert made with crumbly biscuits that are filled with sweet strawberries and topped with homemade whipped cream.
Want to know how we celebrate the arrival of Spring?
Ta Daaaaahm! WITH Strawberry Shortcakes!
Easy Strawberry Shortcakes
This classic strawberry shortcake recipe has tender, homemade biscuits layered with sweet strawberries and fresh whipped cream.
This is how we welcomed the beautiful season of rebirth and renewal. The season that’s going to take away the winter blues and lead us on that path toward the long awaited sunshine of gorgeous summer days. ☀️
I am so excited to know that spring has finally arrived. Even if the weather outside is barely 40 degrees, I. don’t. care. It will get better. Soon.
The strawberries I picked up from the Farmers Market had to be used up somehow before they went bad, and the vote was between a strawberry trifle or a strawberry shortcake.
As you can see, the shortcakes won. The trifle can wait.
Besides, the strawberry trifle does not translate well on photos. I tried it once before and it was a disaster.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
These strawberry shortcakes are pretty to look at and even better to eat.
- I wanted to keep this recipe simple and traditional, thus, for the cakes, I made biscuits with a bit of flour, some cream cheese and orange zest. They are crumbly, slightly sweet, and all kinds of delicious. Yes, you can most definitely grab those yellow sponge-y store-bought rounds to make these shortcakes, but I prefer these buttery biscuit-like shortcakes.
- The sliced strawberries sat in their juices with some sugar for about 30 minutes, but you can keep them in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
- Then, there’s the whipped cream that comes out perfect each and every time BECAUSE, I chilled it for about 30 minutes before I whipped it with my mixer. That’s the secret – chill it before you whip it.
- FINALLY, we get to assemble the little cakes: Cut the biscuits in half. Then, top with some strawberries and a big ol’ dollop of whipped cream.
- Cover with the other half of the biscuit. Add more whipped cream on top; garnish with sliced strawberries and fresh mint.
- Serve. OR refrigerate until ready to serve.
How to Make Ahead
- Biscuits are best when just baked, but you can most definitely make the dough 1 day ahead. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- The strawberries can macerate for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Homemade whipped cream can also be prepared a day in advance.
For the Biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon milk for brushing the tops
For the Strawberries
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh strawberries , hulled and sliced
- 1/3 cup sugar
For the Whipped Cream
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
For the Biscuits:
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and orange zest in a large bowl.
- Add in the cream cheese and mash it with a fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of milk and form a dough.
- Flour hands and divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Place the dough balls 3 inches apart on a greased baking sheet or silpat.
- With a glass flatten the dough balls to 1/2 inch thickness and brush the tops with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar on top.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Take out the biscuits and allow them to cool down to room temperature.
- In the meantime prepare the strawberries.
For the Strawberries:
- Once you have cleaned and sliced them, take 1/3 of the strawberries and mash them with a potato masher.
- Add in the rest of the strawberries and pour in the sugar.
- Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
For the Whipped Cream:
- Meanwhile prepare the whipped cream by combining together the whipping cream, vanilla, and sugar.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.
For the Shortcakes:
- Assemble the shortcakes by cutting the biscuits in half.
- Place a tablespoon of the strawberry mixture on the bottom half of the biscuit and top with whipped cream.
- Cover with the top half of the biscuit, and top it with whipped cream and a few more strawberries.
- Serve immediately or put the cakes in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.