Veggie Meatballs – Delicious vegetarian “meatballs” made with potatoes, carrots, onions and spices, served with a side of yogurt sauce.
Are you ready for another installment of food shaped into a ball?!?
Don’t know what has gotten into me, but in less than a week I have given you three ball recipes; Cashew Chicken Meatballs, Banana, Orange and Chocolate Truffles, and today we have Veggie “Meatballs”… Hate to see what Freud would have to say about all this ball-talk…
But, today’s veggie meatballs recipe is part of the Secret Recipe Club, and it comes from a blog dedicated to simple, vegetarian home cooking, called Simply Sensational Food by Nayna Kanabar. Her blog truly is a gem, filled with ethnic, vegetarian dishes with easy step-by-step instructions. If you have a moment, browse through her recipe index – you will be inspired.
I chose to make these Crispy Veggie Balls simply because I love to nibble on bite-size food. And because I like potatoes. And carrots.
HOW TO MAKE VEGGIE MEATBALLS
Nayna’s method included frying these meatballs in a little bit of sunflower oil, but I skipped that bit and fried them in a pool of canola oil. :/ I also omitted the chillies and turmeric. And I served it with a yogurt sauce on whole wheat tortilla. Gotta make it your own, ya know.
- Heat olive oil and add diced onion, shredded potatoes, carrots.
- Mix in garlic and peas; season and remove from heat.
- Stir in some lemon juice, corn flour, and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, then set aside until mixture is cooled.
- Shape cooled veggie mixture into balls and chill in the fridge.
- Roll the chilled balls in breadcrumbs and add to hot oil; cook for about 4 minutes, or until nicely browned on all sides.
These Veggie Meatballs were extremely tasty! In fact, I had to double the recipe because I wanted to share it with a couple of friends that were coming by that night.
You can serve these as a meal, wrapped in a tortilla or stuffed into a pita bread, or you can have them as an appetizer served on a skewer or toothpick with a side of my delicious, garlicky yogurt sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion , diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes , shredded
- 2 large carrots , shredded
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 can (14-ounces) sweet peas, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons corn flour
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- breadcrumbs for coating the veggie balls
- 1/4 cup oil for frying
- Tortillas (optional)
- Lettuce Leaves (optional)
Yogurt Sauce (optional)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Heat olive oil and add diced onion; cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add shredded potatoes and carrots; continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix in garlic and peas.
- Season with salt, pepper, and chili powder; continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice, corn flour, and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs; set aside until mixture is cooled.
- Shape veggie mixture into 15 to 20 balls.
- Chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place remaining breadcrumbs in shallow dish.
- Heat oil for frying.
- Roll the balls in the breadcrumbs and coat on all sides.
- Add into hot oil, 4 to 5 meatballs at a time.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, turn and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes, or until nicely browned.
- Drain on paper towels and repeat process with the remaining veggie balls.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse 2-3 times, just enough to mix it all together.
- Spoon into a serving plate or
- Spread yogurt sauce on a tortilla, put lettuce leaf over sauce and 3 veggie meatballs; roll and serve.
- You can also skewer the meatballs and serve as an appetizer with the yogurt sauce on the side.