Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites – Sweet, spicy, baked cauliflower bites topped with an amazing Asian-inspired sticky sauce! Serve them as finger food appetizers or as the main course over rice for a delicious veggie dinner.
Baked cauliflower bites, also known as “wings”, are sticky, sweet, spicy and healthy. They are the best veggie wings I’ve ever tried!
Hey Hey! ‘Sup?? How’s your week so far? I was supposed to be on a plane at this very moment…✈ To get away for 5 days and have some fun in Salt Lake City, buuuut my babysitters decided that a 4-year-old and a 7-year-old for 5 DAYS was too much… I don’t blame them! I was surprised when they accepted the challenge a few months back.
So, now, here I am, talking to you, my bloggy people, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
And we’re going to talk about cauliflower bites!
Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites
Have you tried these guys, yet? It’s sticky cauliflower. As in sticky chicken, but minus the chicken. It’s pretty darn good! You won’t even miss the chicken, I promise.
HOW TO MAKE STICKY SESAME CAULIFLOWER BITES
- You’re looking at cauliflower florets dipped in egg whites and covered in seasoned panko crumbs.
- They are then transferred to a baking sheet for a little fun in the sun. Well, their sun… and our oven.
- The idea here is to get them to crisp up in the oven before they meet their destiny with this damn good sauce and then our bellies.
SWEET STICKY SAUCE
- That skillet up there is filled with all-things amazing; soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, honey, chili sauce, garlic… drooling, yet? I AM! The sauce has a lovely balance of sweet, spicy, and savory.
We’re also adding sesame seeds for its nutty notes and crunchy texture.
I hope you make yourself a batch of these guys pretty soon, maybe over the weekend. It’s a great snack, an appetizer, or make-believe chicken.
Sidenote: About sticky chicken: pleeeeease try my Sticky Chicken Thighs... Holy Lord, they’re beyond!
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Bites
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 whole egg whites
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil or vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce or sriracha
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- chopped green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Add egg whites to a large ziploc bag; add cauliflower florets, close the bag, and shake it around until everything is well combined.
- In a separate ziploc bag combine panko crumbs, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; add cauliflower florets to the bag, close it, and shake it around until everything is well combined.
- Transfer cauliflower florets to previously prepared baking sheet; bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender and lightly browned.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
- In a nonstick skillet set over medium heat, combine sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, chili sauce and garlic; bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl combine cornstarch and water and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Add cornstarch mixture to soy sauce mixture and stir to combine; remove from heat.
- Remove cauliflower florets from oven and either add them to the sauce OR pour sauce over the florets. Mix until well combined.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
- Serve as appetizer or serve over rice.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.