Spinach Lentil Fritters are a deliciously crispy fritter appetizer recipe. Made with lentils and spinach, and served with a side of lemon-sour cream sauce, you’re going to love how tasty this recipe is!
We love fritters at my house! There are so many great flavor combinations like these Garlicky Cheesy Broccoli Fritters, or these Spinach, Kale and Spaghetti Squash Fritters. You’ve got to try them if you like this Spinach Lentil Fritters recipe!
I Love Using Lentils In My Recipes
A.K.A. bites of protein-veggie heaven!
Hey Hey, friends! Hope you’re enjoying this lovely Monday!
I feel like the world is playing a trick on me. From where I stand it looks more like Fall has arrived even though it’s mid-June. I am sitting in my office, watching the rain coming down like it’s on speed, and hoping that the electricity stays on long enough for me to hit the “publish” button on this post. Happy Monday, indeed!
Sometimes I look through the archives of this blog and am reminded that once in a while I need to go back to where I started. Lemme explain.
Lentils and I are like *THIS*, and I probably have them couple times a month, yet I’ve only published one recipe with lentils.
One Of My Favorite Lentil Recipes
Therefore, when the opportunity presented itself – thanks to Golden Door – I jumped at the chance to share with you one of our favorite lentil recipes.
But first! Golden Door.
Two words: Artisan Foods. Also? Golden Door Products are made without chemical preservatives, without artificial sweeteners, non-GMO, all natural, vegan, organic, gluten-free AND soy-free.
One more thing: Their foods are all sourced from LOCAL growers and processed at a facility in Southern California.
BUT BUT BUT! HUGE BUT! This fritters recipe right here?!? I am submitting it to the Golden Door Recipe Contest! EEEK!
You see, at the end of this month I am going to attend the Eat Write Retreat Conference in Chicago, and since Golden Door will also be there, I thought I should maybe show off a bit with my lentil-skills. KIDDING! #kinda.
You and I are no strangers to fritters, or patties, so I’m pretty sure that all you’ll want to do today is fry some lentil fritters for dinner and tear ’em up! Right?! RIGHT!
AND tell Golden Door Chef Greg Frey Jr. that my recipe is the best of ever! (Winning recipe will be selected by HIM!) !wink wink!
How To Make These Spinach Lentil Fritters
Just think about it. Golden Door’s Moroccan Harari Soup Mix, which sounds more complicated than it really is because, all we’re talking about is a mix of organic lentils and organic Moroccan spice blend. As if that’s not enough, add some garlic, spinach leaves and panko crumbs to the mix, and you have these beautiful, golden, crunchy fritters to enjoy with a side of lemon-sour cream sauce.
Anyone else drooling?!
Doesn’t matter. You’ll drool just as soon as these hit your lips!
Sidenote; your house is going to smell like the heavens!
Craving more? Sign up for the DIETHOOD Newsletter for fresh new content delivered to your inbox! Follow Diethood on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest recipes and updates.
Spinach Lentil Fritters are a deliciously crispy fritter appetizer recipe. Made with lentils and spinach, and served with a side of lemon-sour cream sauce, you're going to love how tasty this recipe is!
- 1 cup Moroccan Harari Soup Mix or red lentils
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 clove of garlic , minced
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil , for frying
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 ?4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Place soup mix or lentils in a saucepan; add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover the saucepan with a lid; continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in spinach leaves and garlic; continue to cook and stir for 1 minute, or until spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat, stir in panko crumbs and let stand a few minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Put egg and flour in individual bowls.
- Form the lentil mixture into 2-inch patties; dip the patties in the egg, coating both sides, and then coat the patties with the flour.
- Working in batches, add fritters to skillet, flattening slightly; cook until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel–lined plate.
- In the meantime, prepare the sour cream sauce.
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and stir until combined.
- Taste and adjust the flavors accordingly.
- Transfer fritters to a serving plate.
- Serve with prepared sour cream sauce.
You can serve these in a basket as an appetizer or make them as an accompaniment to a dinner salad or even shrimp.
***IF using plain red lentils, please season the mixture with salt and pepper. You can also add about 1/2-teaspoon cumin to the mixture.