Spinach, Kale and Spaghetti Squash Fritters – Flavorful, healthy, quick and easy baked fritters with spinach, kale, and spaghetti squash.
Can I tell you that sharing these fritters was almost a heartbreak? They were SO, SO GOOD that I honestly just wanted them all for myself. Wish I had bought more than one squash. Lesson learned.
HEY, friends! Excuse me for talking out loud – I’m still thinking about all the fritters I could’ve had if I had just bought one more squash! Sigh…
SO! What’s up? TGIF! No, really. THANK GOD for Fridays! It’s been a rough week, yo. Between dance practices, soccer, and the Pope’s arrival, I’m all kinds of busy.
By the way, why can’t I stop stalking every move the Pope makes? I’m worse than CNN. Great man, though. I’m liking him more and more each day. I may not be Catholic, but as an individual and a person of Faith, I can’t help but respect someone as humble and as grateful as Pope Francis. AND he’s not worried about wearing Gucci Loafers… so… the proof is in the puddin’.
Speaking of pudding, do you like spaghetti squash? I love IT. It’s such a cool veggie, and there are so many ways that you can prepare it. You can use it as a substitute for noodles, you can use it as is, a veg, or you can make these awesomely awesome fritters!
Really, though, if I’m being honest, all I wanted to do was just show you an awesome kitchen hack for spaghetti squash; How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Microwave in 20 Minutes! Awesome kitchen hack, right?! 👊
But then, as I was working on preparing all of that for you, these fritters came to mind because of a bag of kale/spinach mix I had in the fridge. One thing led to another, and once I was done with all the picture takin’ of the microwaved spaghetti squash, I jumped back into the kitchen and the results are now right in your face! 🙋 And I’m so glad!
I didn’t have any expectations for these squash fritters – I was just happy that I didn’t have to think too long about what we were going to have for dinner. All the inspiration was right in front of me.
Sidenote: I’m no dummy, but it took me a good 3 years of running this bloggity blog to learn that many of you come here looking for inspiration more than looking for an actual recipe, and that makes me happity happy! I love knowing that even if you didn’t make it exactly as I did, I am very happy to know that I inspired you. Thank YOU!
Continuing with my honesty… I thought I could work these fritters into something that could be shaped in between my hands, but no. That did not work. It could have, BUT I didn’t want to because this other method worked just as well.
Instead of adding a pound of flour and bread crumbs to the mixture, I kept all that to a minimum and, instead of making thick cakes sort of speak, I spooned a bunch of thin rounds of squash mixture onto the baking sheet and that was it. No messy hands and no time wasted on shaping cakes. WIN WIN!
Also? I don’t like to add much more to these, so I just served them with a side of plain yogurt and no one complained. Dare I say, they were just as awesome without it.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Spinach, Kale and Spaghetti Squash Fritters
- 2- pounds spaghetti squash , cooked and shredded (refer to this post for How to Cook Spaghetti Squash)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bell pepper , diced
- pinch of salt
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach , packed
- 2 cups torn kale leaves , packed
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- plain nonfat yogurt for serving , optional
- Prepare spaghetti squash according to this recipe HERE.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with foil and grease with olive oil cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the meantime, prepare the greens mixture.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large nonstick skillet; add diced peppers and salt and continue to cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until peppers begin to soften.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Stir in spinach and kale; season with salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until wilted.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl; let stand a few minutes to cool.
- Add spaghetti squash strands to the spinach mixture, as well as the parmesan cheese, flour, panko bread crumbs, egg, seasoned salt, oregano and parsley; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place in the fridge for several minutes, or until slightly cooled.
- Remove from fridge and spoon mixture into 2 to 3-inch rounds on previously prepared baking sheets.
- Lightly spray tops of rounds with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes; flip the fritters over and continue to cook for 8 to 10 more minutes, or until browned on top.
- Continue to do the same with the second baking sheet.
- Remove from oven and transfer fritters to a serving plate.
Recipe NotesYou can serve these as a side dish or as an appetizer.