Garlicky and Cheesy Broccoli Fritters – Delicious and crispy fritters loaded with broccoli, carrots, garlic and cheese. Perfect as a side dish, a snack, or an appetizer!
Helloooo, internet friends! Welcome! Can I interest you in some broccoli and carrots and garlic and cheese?! Also known as the fritters that were lovingly cooked, photographed, and scarfed down in just seconds? Oh, good!
What’s more surprising is that they were scarfed down by these little people that run around here, crying about how much they don’t like green vegetables. 1-0 for MOM! (I always win)
Is that a high-five I see?! Thank YOU!
So that settles it. These vegetable-loaded Broccoli Fritters are the only snack/app/dinner I’m making for the rest of the year. This should be easy?
CLICK ON THE PHOTOS ABOVE TO GET THE RECIPES
Guys, I loooove broccoli. I think you know this, especially if you’ve been reading this blog for a while. I mean, if it’s not brussels sprouts (my fave of all), broccoli is the next green veg that sits on my dinner plate almost always. Steamed, with a bit of parmesan and lemon is all I need. But sometimes, I need more. I want more. I yearn for something a bit more flavor-loaded, crispy, lip-smacking, finger-licking good.
Enter broccoli, carrots, garlic, parm, and peanut oil.
I pinky promise you, though these are fried and not baked, we’re talking about a couple tablespoons, maybe 3, of peanut oil. No deep frying, and just two minutes of cooking on each side. I have baked them before, but usually included some type of grain – rice or quinoa to keep them completely in tact – however, this time around I wanted us to enjoy something thinner and crispier.
FYI: Peanut Oil is one of the healthiest oils. It is naturally trans fat-free, cholesterol free, and low in saturated fats. Peanut oil is also great for healthier frying because it can be heated to a higher temperature than other oils which results in lower oil pick up in the food.
And finally, it’s broccoli fritters time! Let’s grub.
P.S. Serve with a side of plain yogurt ⬅ game-changer.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 2 cups broccoli florets , steamed and finely chopped
- 2 to 3 carrots , shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 green onions , thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil , for frying
- In a large mixing bowl combine previously steamed and finely chopped broccoli, shredded carrots, parmesan cheese, green onions, garlic, egg, and flour; mix and stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/4 cup broccoli mixture into a measuring cup; pack it tight.
- Drop the mixture into the hot oil and flatten it slightly.
- Cook for 2 minutes; flip and continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes more, or until golden brown. If it starts to burn, lower the heat to medium.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture. You may have to cook them in batches.
- Remove the fritters from the skillet and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with a side of plain yogurt.