This easy roast beef recipe has slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary for amazing flavor. With only a handful of pantry ingredients, you’re just few steps away from whipping up this wonderful, mouth-watering roast beef dinner!
AN EASY ROAST BEEF RECIPE
We all need a little more low maintenance dinners, and if you’re also in pursuit of this reality, you want this Roast Beef in your life. It’s just juicy beef cooked slow until tender and mouthwatering delicious.
Perfect for Christmas, Thanksgiving, or to simply spoil your friends and family, this foolproof low-carb, Keto-friendly Roast Beef recipe guarantees perfectly cooked round roast without sweating and stressing.
HOW TO MAKE ROAST BEEF
With a kick of garlic and a simple rub of rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper, this is a meal that practically makes itself.
- First and foremost, let roast sit in room temperature at least 1 hour, and up to 2 hours, before cooking.
- Then, pat dry with paper towels and, using a sharp knife, pierce meat in several places; insert slivers of garlic in each hole.
- Combine olive oil, fresh chopped rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper in a bowl; stir to combine and then rub all over roast.
- Place roast on top of a rack set over a roasting pan.
- Important step: Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into the center of the roast. This will ensure a perfectly cooked roast. You want to take that roast out of the oven when it reaches a temperature between 130˚F and 145˚F, depending on your desired doneness. I like some pink in the center, but my husband doesn’t, so I took mine out at around 138˚F (happy medium? 🙄) and let it rest for 20 minutes before cutting. Meat continues to cook while it rests and internal temperature will rise 5˚F in the meantime.
WHAT IS A GOOD CUT OF MEAT FOR ROAST BEEF?
- Top Round Roast
- Bottom Round Roast
- Eye of Round
- Top Sirloin Roast
For your information, the eye of the round, top round and bottom round roasts all meet the guidelines for extra-lean beef.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COOK ROAST BEEF?
- A 4-pound roast will take about 1 hour and 45 minutes to cook. Cooking time depends on the size of the roast and desired doneness; anything between 3 and 4 pounds will take a minimum of 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- I like to start off at high heat for 15 minutes, just to get that browning on the outside, but then I reduce the heat to 325˚F for the remainder of the time. BUT, all ovens are not created equal, thus, as stated above, it’s important to use an ovenproof meat thermometer, especially for bigger cuts of meat.
Also, please resist cutting into the roast right away. Let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing. If you cut too soon, all that juice will just find itself on the cutting board and you will end up with a dry piece of meat.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER ROAST BEEF
- Store completely cooled, sliced roast beef in airtight containers and keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Roast Beef leftovers are the best! Use it in sandwiches, sliders, salads, etc…
MORE BEEF RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Rosemary Garlic Roast Beef Recipe
- 1 (3 to 4 pounds) round roast, fat trimmed off
- 4 cloves garlic, each clove cut in 3 slivers, longwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450˚F.
- Prepare a roasting pan with a rack set over it; set aside.
- Take the roast out of the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking, and up to 2 hours before cooking.
- Pat dry the meat with paper towels.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slits in the roast and insert the slivered garlic evenly around the whole roast.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper; mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Rub the rosemary mixture all around the roast.
- Place roast on top of the rack that is set over the roasting pan.
- Stick an ovenproof meat thermometer into the center of the meat.
- Put prepared meat in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325˚F and continue to roast until internal temperature reaches 130°F for rare, 140°F for medium rare, and 150°F to 155˚F for medium to well done. This can take anywhere from 1 hour and 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the size of the roast and desired doneness.
- Remove from oven and let roast rest for at least 20 to 30 minutes before cutting.
- Cut and serve.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 8
NET CARBS: 0
- Two important things to remember for the most perfect roast; use an ovenproof meat thermometer and let the roast beef rest for at least 20 minutes before cutting.
Nutritional info is an estimate and provided as courtesy. Values may vary according to the ingredients and tools used. Please use your preferred nutritional calculator for more detailed info.