It’s so easy to make this Roasted Beef Tenderloin recipe with the most delicious garlic & herb crust. This no-fuss recipe makes juicy beef tenderloin that melts in your mouth!
THE BEST BEEF TENDERLOIN RECIPE
Want to make a BIG impression at your next fancy dinner gathering?! Well, then, let’s do it! Beef tenderloin is the classic choice for a special main dish. Effortless, perfect, juicy, and melt-in-your-mouth-delicious roasted beef tenderloin is the only recipe you’ll need this Holiday Season. Or, for any other special occasion.
My tried and true method yields a beautifully browned crust with tender and juicy center. Rosemary and garlic flavored beef tenderloin makes a fantastic main dish recipe for all your Holiday parties!
Doesn’t hurt that it’s also low in carbs – like ZERO 🙌 – Keto-friendly, and gluten free.
WHAT IS BEEF TENDERLOIN?
Beef Tenderloin is the most tender cut of beef. It’s cut from the loin of a cow, and when cut into steaks, it is what we know as “filet mignon”. There is not a lot of fat in the tenderloin, which makes it a lean cut of meat. When cooked properly tenderloin will literally melt in your mouth!
HOW TO PREPARE BEEF TENDERLOIN
There are a few steps to preparing beef tenderloin, but don’t worry – they are easy!
- Bring to room temperature: Before roasting, I highly advise to take the tenderloin out of the fridge at least one hour and up to two hours before cooking. There’s no marinating required with this recipe, but letting the meat come to room temperature will produce juicier and evenly cooked meat.
- Dry & trim: Pat your tenderloin dry with paper towel. Then remove the “silverskin” that runs down the length of the tenderloin by running a sharp knife underneath it and gently pulling the it off. You can also trim any excess fat on the meat.
- Oil and season: Grab some olive oil and just rub it all around the meat. GENEROUSLY season with salt and fresh ground pepper. In a small bowl mash together minced garlic with a couple tablespoons of fresh chopped rosemary leaves. Rub the tenderloin with the prepared garlic mixture.
- Tie with twine: This is an important step – don’t skip it! Place the tenderloin over pieces of precut kitchen twine spaced one-inch apart and tie them closed. You can also ask the butcher to tie it for you (trim it, too!) when buying the tenderloin.
HOW TO ROAST BEEF TENDERLOIN
This is a two-step process; first, you want to sear the meat over medium-high heat, and then pop it in the oven to finish the cooking process. In this way, the tenderloin will have a nicely browned exterior and a perfectly pink interior.
- Heat the oil: Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Sear: Add the tenderloin to the hot oil and sear on all sides until browned.
- Roast: Transfer skillet to a 450˚F-degree oven and continue to cook for 25 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 125˚F to 130˚F. Do not overcook because that will result in chewy and dry beef. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness.
- Allow to rest: Remove from oven, tent a piece of foil over the tenderloin and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
HOW LONG TO COOK BEEF TENDERLOIN?
Searing the tenderloin usually takes about 4-5 minutes per side, which amounts to about 12-15 minutes total for searing. Roasting the tenderloin then takes about 25 minutes.
Total cooking time for beef tenderloin for searing and roasting is therefore about 40 minutes. You’ll also want to let your tenderloin rest for 10-15 minutes, which allows all the juices to settle. Resting time helps make your tenderloin incredibly tender and juicy!
TEMPERATURE DONENESS GUIDE FOR COOKED BEEF
- RARE: 120˚F TO 125˚F
- MEDIUM RARE: 130˚F TO 135˚F
- MEDIUM TO MEDIUM-WELL: 140˚F TO 145˚F
- WELL: 150˚F+
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEEF TENDERLOIN
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip Crock Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Green Beans
- Easy Oven Roasted Vegetables
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
It's so easy to make this Roast Beef Tenderloin recipe with the most delicious garlic & herb crust. This no-fuss recipe makes juicy beef tenderloin that melts in your mouth!
Let tenderloin sit at room temperature for 1 hour before cooking.
Preheat oven to 450˚F.
Pat dry the tenderloin with paper towels.
Rub tenderloin with olive oil and generously season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
In a small bowl mix together minced garlic and chopped rosemary; rub all around the tenderloin.
Place tenderloin over pieces of precut kitchen twine spaced one-inch apart and tie them closed. You can also ask the butcher to tie the tenderloin for you.
Heat vegetable oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
When oil is hot, add tenderloin and sear for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until browned all around.
Transfer skillet to the oven and continue to cook for 25 to 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 130˚F. Cooking time can vary depending on your oven and the thickness of your tenderloin; always check for desired doneness using a meat thermometer.
Remove skillet from oven and transfer meat to a cutting board.
Tent a piece of foil over the tenderloin and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
Cut into 1/2-inch slices and serve.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 6
NET CARBS: 0
HOW TO STORE COOKED BEEF TENDERLOIN
- Store beef tenderloin in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.