Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw Recipe – Tossed with an incredible Apple Cider Vinaigrette, this tangy slaw is light, crunchy, refreshing, and serves perfectly as a side dish or even an appetizer.
Cabbage Slaw and homemade moonshine, friends! It’s the summer life of a Macedonian!
But Hiiiii! Welcome to my shredded veggies shrine! Whether in salad form or otherwise, I am a veg junkie!
Buuuut, I like cakes, too. I just inhaled a slice of this Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake for breakfast… for the rest of the day, I’ll be enjoying Protein Shakes.
I could’ve just reached for my uber healthy Blender Muffins, but noooooooo. The voices in my head were screaming, CAKE CAKE CAKE!
Although cakes are always most important, there’s lots more delicious things we need to talk about. Like, Ribs and Slaw.
This post is sponsored by STAR FINE FOODS.
Thank YOU, friends, for supporting the brands that make Diethood possible!
Remember those Barbecue Ribs from the other day? THOSE with THIS = summer food Heaven! Add shots of homemade moonshine to the mix and you’ve got 4 happy people singing patriotic songs from sun-up to sun-down. Yah. That happened.
You ought to know though, I am not one to enjoy a traditional coleslaw. The one with mayonnaise and honey and celery seeds… nope, no thanks. The mayo throws it off for me. But what DOES work for me is Apple Cider Vinegar with mustard, sans mayo. Love love love.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
In this recipe I used STAR’s brand new Unfiltered Organic Apple Cider Vinegar which is made with organically grown apples, and it is a perfect way to add delicious flavor to any salad, including this Red Cabbage and Carrot Slaw.
Though I really dislike shredding cabbage – mostly because I end up shredding at least one finger during the ordeal – I pinkie promise that you will be rewarded for your time spent shredding and cutting in the best way possible when you whip up the dressing. The flavors are like a Summer explosion in your mouth. Just completely delicious. And that crunchy cabbage texture is every.thing.
Now, think about the goodness of a tangy slaw and remind yourself why you don’t need the creamy one. Let’s just all admit that sometimes an Apple Cider Vinegar is the Belle of the ball. The bees knees. The top banana! You get the point.
From hereon, we just need to properly celebrate what is in our present – flip flops, barbecues, and a fantastically textured Slaw.
STAR EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL is available at retailers nationwide including Safeway, Kroger, Vons, Albertsons, Food 4 Less, Save Mart, Target, Walmart, Schnucks, Food Lion, Stater Bros., Raley’s, Smart & Final, Bashas, King Soopers, Vallarta, Jewel, Smith’s, Dierbergs, HEB and Ralphs stores and ONLINE.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Tossed with an incredible Apple Cider Vinaigrette, this tangy slaw is light, crunchy, refreshing, and serves perfectly as a side dish or even an appetizer.
- 1 small head red cabbage , shredded
- 4 large carrots , shredded
- 4 green onions , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/3 cup STAR Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup STAR Unfiltered Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey , as needed for sweetness
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (for flavor, optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- salt and pepper , to taste
- chopped fresh parsley , for garnish
- Place shredded cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large salad bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard, garlic, oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, honey, vanilla, chili powder, salt and pepper; whisk until well combined.
- Pour dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and garnish with chopped parsley.
WW Smart Points: 4