I get excited about a whole lotta things in life; coffee, chunky jewelry, Friends Marathon on Nick at Nite, Pierogies with Spicy Feta Filling…
I believe my pierogies should be the new black. When you learn why, you’ll think so, too.
Because they are made with only 2 ingredients. Read – 2 ingredients. Without the filling.
I don’t know where to begin with this story… I’ll just start from the beginning.
Long ago…. Oh wait! I should tell you that this post is a part of World on a Plate, which is a monthly blogging cultural exchange where a group of bloggers from different corners of the world get together once a month to “interpret a food through the lens of their home country cooking”. This month’s theme is dumplings.
Enter my pierogies…
Long ago when I was in my later teens I traveled to Macedonia on vacay and ate my Aunt’s pierogies just about every single day while I was there… they were so damn good!
So few years later, when I got a bit older, I asked her for the recipe and she was happy to give it to me. I took one look at the recipe and I gave up. Threw my hands in the air and said, No Way! The recipe was 2 pages long! I was not about to slave over pierogies for 3 hours. Sorry.
Fast forward to, oh I don’t know, 4 or 5 years ago…? Something like that. My Mother tells me that back when we lived in Macedonia she made her Пирошки-Piroshki, or Pierogies, with sour cream and flour. Whaaat? That’s it?! Just some good ol’ sour cream and flour?! Happiness was written all over my face! However, I could not believe she had been holding out on me all those years!! I still can’t get over it. My own Mother! Tsk Tsk Tsk…
But I let it go. I wasn’t about to let a pierogies recipe get in the way of our relationship. 😉
I guess you could say the same thing – I have been holding out on you, too, with this recipe. So sorry!! The opportunity just presented itself. I thought that all you wanted was Double Chocolate Brownies and Oreo Cheesecake Pops. You don’t know how happy I am that you are also in on this whole savory thing on zee blog!
Enough rambling. We need to get to the recipe so that you can go to your kitchen and make these pierogies for the Fam. It will take you all of 30 minutes. Or just serve them tonight at your Oscars Party while getting drunk off of those White Grapes and Champagne Granitas! That’s a great idea!!
P.S. If you have some time, please scroll to the bottom of this post and visit the rest of the World on a Plate participants. Sphanx!
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce , or to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups sour cream
- Oil for Frying
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Combine the flour and sour cream in your mixer's bowl; mix with the dough hook until you have a soft ball of dough. If too wet, add a tablespoon of flour, if too dry, add more sour cream, one tablespoon at a time.
- Lightly flour your working table and turn out the dough.
- Roll out the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Use several passes to roll it to the desired thickness. Don't try to flatten it all the way with just one pass.
- Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into 20 rounds, rerolling the scraps as needed.
- Place filling into center and fold in half, closing edges with tines of fork. Be sure all edges are sealed.
- Heat oil.
- Place 2 to 3 pierogies in the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, or until the pierogies float to the top and the edges start to brown; flip and cook for another minute or two, or until completely browned.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Repeat until you have used up all the pierogies.
- Serve plain or with a side of sour cream, melted cheese, or salsa.
WW SmartPoints: 2
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy