Microwave Baked Apples – Delicious, juicy, classic baked apples filled with a sweet oats mixture and prepared in the microwave in just minutes!
Microwave Baked Apples is an easy, comforting, warm dessert stuffed with a cinnamon buttery oat mixture and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. These Baked Apples are perfect for Fall or anytime you want a delicious and quick dessert.
As tradition goes, this September we hopped around from one orchard to another, picking sweet and juicy apples with the kids. While many turn their freshly picked apples into an apple pie, we, the impatient ones, make Baked Apples in the microwave.
Then there are those other times when our patience is even worse and I turn to making Microwave Apple Chips. Sometimes, Apple Rings might also make it to the table, but not as often as these juicy, tender, and crunchy Baked Apples. At 124 calories per serving, this is a healthier dessert option that’s also packed with antioxidants and dietary fiber.
HOW TO MAKE MICROWAVE BAKED APPLES
Microwave Baked Apples are super simple to make. You’ll just need a few fresh, crisp apples, some oats, a touch of brown sugar, a bit of honey, cinnamon, and butter!
- First, we start by making our filling and combining the oats with the brown sugar, cinnamon, and honey.
- Then, we want to cut our apples in half, lengthwise, and scoop out the middle with a melon baller.
- One by one, fill the apples with the prepared oat filling and place them in a microwave-safe baking dish.
- Dot each apple with a pat of butter and cover the dish with a piece of paper towel, big enough to cover the entire dish.
- Place prepared apples in the microwave and cook for 8 minutes on HIGH. Check for doneness and continue to cook until desired tenderness. I find that 4 apples take about 8, and up to 10 minutes, depending on their size.
This recipe makes it easy for you to make it your own. Add in nuts, if you wish, or dried fruits, less sugar, more sugar, it’s all up to you. It is a great base recipe for apples baked to a delicious perfection in a microwave oven.
I advise to use crisp apples; Honeycrisps are my favorite, but you can also use Granny Smith, Melrose, Braeburn, and so on.
Also, microwaves vary in strength, so you may have to experiment a couple times to find the time that is right for your microwave. My advice is to start checking the apples at the 6 minute mark and continue to cook in 1 minute increments until desired tenderness.
Microwave Baked Apples come out tender and juices don’t evaporate, therefore you end up with an amazing sauce to spoon over the apples.
HOW TO MAKE AHEAD
- Baked Apples may also be baked ahead. After they’ve cooled down completely, place apples in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Reheat individual servings in the microwave.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Lighter Caramel Cheesecake Stuffed Baked Apples
- Apple Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- Gluten Free Caramel Apple Pizza
- Healthy Apple and Zucchini Bread
- Skillet Apple Berry Pie
Delicious, juicy, classic baked apples filled with a sweet oats mixture and prepared in the microwave in just minutes!
- 4 fresh, crisp apples
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut in pieces
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter cut into 8 pats
- vanilla ice cream optional, for serving
In a mixing bowl combine oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
Add 1 tablespoon butter and mash it in with a fork until well combined.
Add honey and mix until everything is thoroughly combined; set aside.
Cut the apples in half, lengthwise.
Grab a melon baller and scoop out the middle of the apples; don't scoop out the entire flesh! Scoop out the seeds and scoop out a little bit around to make a well.
Fill the apples with the prepared oat mixture.
Place apples in a microwave safe baking dish; add a pat of butter on top of each apple and cover the entire dish with a paper towel.
Put the baking dish in the microwave and cook on HIGH for 8 minutes.
Using a fork, check for doneness by testing the thickest part of the apple.
Continue to cook in 1 minute increments until desired tenderness.
Remove from microwave and let stand about 2 minutes.
Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, optionally, and spoon sauce over apples.
- I advise to use crisp apples; Honeycrisps are my favorite, but you can also use Granny Smith, Melrose, Braeburn, and so on.
- Also, microwaves vary in strength, so you may have to experiment a couple times to find the time that is right for your microwave. My advice is to start checking the apples at the 6 minute mark and continue to cook in 1 minute increments until desired tenderness.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 4
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy