A quick and delicious snack of sliced apple rings dipped in a yogurt batter, fried, and topped with cinnamon-sugar.
I think Fridays need to be a National Holiday. Everyone celebrates this day, anyhow! What do you think?
When I worked in the big city back in my hay day, a bar nearby used to have Happy-Hour-Fridays. All day Friday was happy hour. Happy prices, happy people! I was there twice on Fridays – lunch time and after work. If you’re reading, Hi Boss! 🙂
I also think that Fridays need to come with a sweet weekend recipe because, as we all know, weekend calories don’t count.
Thus, when life gives you apples…
Or, when your apple tree gives you apples… you maaaaaake???
Apple Rings! Ding! Ding! Ding!
You probably wanted to say Apple Pie, but let’s pretend, for the sake of my recipe. Ahem. My mom’s recipe.
My mom makes killer onion rings so I asked her to give up the recipe for the batter. Measurements and all. The lady was more than happy to let me have it, but she wasn’t all too happy with me to use the same batter with apples. For some reason, she just wasn’t having it – “The batter is too thick…it’s not sweet…it won’t work” … la di da di da
I told her to ‘chill out’ while showing her the chill-hand, 1990’s-Pepsi-commercial-style. Remember that?! YouTube it.
Well, needless to say, she LOVED these apple rings. Truly, loved! She just kept going back for more. But so did I! They were best while hot, but I still enjoyed them later on that night, when everyone went to bed. 😀
My mom has a thing for putting yogurt in batter and this recipe is no different. But, lucky for us, it’s pretty simple and we can do this in our sleep – mix, whisk, dunk, fry. The end.
Tomorrow morning wake up before the rest of the fam and get on this. You won’t even need to wake them up. The smell of state-fair fried food will do that for you. Which reminds me, open up the windows while working on this deliciousness – your neighbors will thank you.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt ( I use Dannon )
- 1 large egg
- 6 cooking apples , like Granny Smith, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Canola Oil for Frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together yogurt and 1 egg; whisk until well combined.
- Whisk yogurt mixture into flour mixture; set aside.
- Slice apples and using a round small cookie cutter, or a knife, cut “rings” out of the middle of the apple slices.
- In a large deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat to 375 degrees.
- Dip the apple rings in the batter then place in the skillet and cook in batches, 1 to 2 minutes per slice, or until golden, turning once to cook the other side.
- In a bowl or plate combine sugar and cinnamon; mix well.
- Sprinkle sugar mixture over the apple rings while still hot.
- Serve immediately.
WW SmartPoints: 8