These Fried Apple Rings are a quick and delicious snack! Made with sliced apple rings dipped in pancake batter, fried to a crisp, and topped with sweet cinnamon-sugar. They are pretty much the definition of irresistible!
Happiest of Fridays, friends! I think Fridays need to be a National Holiday. Everyone celebrates this day, anyhow!
When I worked in the big city of Chicago, a bar nearby used to have Happy-Hour-Fridays. All day Friday was happy hour. 😃 Happy prices, happy people! I was there twice on Fridays – lunch time and after work. If you’re reading, Hi Boss! 😉
I also think that Fridays need to come with a sweet weekend recipe because, as we all know, weekend calories don’t count.
FRIED APPLE RINGS
Fried Apple Rings or Apple Fritters are my kids’ favorite Sunday breakfast. Can you see why?! Becaaaause, it’s apple slices covered in pancake batter and fried to a crispy and sweet perfection! It’s like a donut + a pancake + a baked apple = all into ONE!
My mom makes killer onion rings so I asked her to give up the recipe for the batter. The lady was more than happy to let me have it, but she wasn’t all too happy with me to use the same batter with apples. For some reason, she just wasn’t having it; “The batter is too thick…it’s not sweet…it won’t work” … la di da di da
Well, needless to say, she LOVED these apple rings. Truly, loved! She just kept going back for more. But so did I! They are best while hot, but I still enjoyed them later on that night, when everyone went to bed. 😍
HOW TO MAKE FRIED APPLE RINGS
- First we start by making a simple batter with flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate bowl you’ll combine milk, eggs, and vanilla. I always play around with this part; sometimes I LOVE to use a sugar-free flavored creamer and other times I mix in plain yogurt with the milk. What I’m trying to say is to please feel free to play with the recipe.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; stir until incorporated, and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a heavy bottomed skillet.
- Slice apples into 1/4-inch thick round slices; remove the middle of each apple slice with a paring knife.
- Dip apple slices in prepared batter and fry for couple minutes, or until done.
- Remove from oil; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar, and serve.
- While I think these are delicious even a day later, I have to say that they are best almost immediately after cooking. They are crisp, hot, and sweet.
- If you want to go the easier route, you can always use a store-bought pancake mix for the batter.
- Also, as a healthier option, you can put these Apple Rings on the griddle instead of frying them.
Tomorrow morning wake up before the rest of the fam and get on this. You won’t even need to wake them up. The smell of State-Fair fried food will do that for you. Which reminds me, open up the windows while working on this deliciousness – your neighbors will thank you.
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
A quick and delicious snack with sliced apple rings dipped in a sweet pancake batter, fried to a crisp, and topped with cinnamon-sugar.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, (In place of milk, I have used Sugar Free Hazelnut Creamer and it's really good!)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 large apples, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices
- Canola Oil for Frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
In a small mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a separate bowl whisk together milk and egg; add vanilla and whisk until well combined.
Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture; set aside.
Slice apples and cut out the middle part of the apple slices. I use a small round cookie cutter to pop them out.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-low heat to 375˚F degrees.
Dip the apple rings in the batter then transfer them to the skillet and cook in batches, 1 to 2 minutes per slice, or until golden, turning once to cook the other side.
- In a bowl or plate combine sugar and cinnamon; mix well.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over the apple rings while still hot.
- Serve immediately.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 5
*Recipe was originally published on October 4th, 2013. Updated with new photos on November 21, 2019.