This easy Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is sweet and tangy! It’s a healthy dinner idea with minimal cleanup that’s ready in under 30 minutes. It is so simple, the entire meal cooks together in one pan.
INSTANT POT HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN
This Keto & Low Carb Chicken Dinner comes together in just 30 minutes in the Instant Pot! Tender chicken thighs cooked to a golden perfection with tons of flavor in a finger-licking-good honey mustard sauce.
After so many delicious Baked Honey Mustard Chicken dinners, it was finally time to try something similar in my Instant Pot. Whether you’re new to the Instant Pot craze or already a fan, this honey mustard chicken will be your new family favorite weeknight dinner.
Made with juicy chicken thighs, this recipe is all about the flavorful honey mustard sauce. Sweet and savory, these tender Instant Pot chicken thighs won’t disappoint.
HOW DO YOU MAKE HONEY MUSTARD CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
- I begin with searing the chicken thighs in my Instant Pot to give them that golden crust. If you’re pressed for time, you can skip that part, but it does add more flavor and texture.
- Next, remove the chicken thighs from the IP; stir some onions and garlic to cook inside the Instant Pot.
- Deglaze the pot with chicken broth and whisk in the (sugar free/keto/low-carb) honey and mustard.
- Put the chicken thighs back in the IP; lock the lid and PRESSURE COOK for 8 minutes.
- Then, do a natural pressure release (NPR) – this will take about 12 to 14 minutes to depressurize.
- Remove chicken thighs from the IP and set aside.
- Combine heavy cream, whole-grain Dijon Mustard, and cornstarch; whisk until thoroughly combined, and then add that to the sauce inside the Instant Pot. Whisk and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Pour sauce over chicken thighs and serve.
HOW LONG DO I COOK CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
- Bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs will to pressure cook for 10 minutes. Boneless skinless chicken thighs need 8 minutes for 6 to 10 chicken thighs.
CAN I USE FROZEN CHICKEN THIGHS?
- Frozen chicken thighs will work, but set the cooking time to 12 minutes. To stay on the safe side, always use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to make sure your food is cooked through. Chicken Thighs and Chicken Breasts are done cooking when internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- IF the chicken thighs aren’t cooked through, place them back in the Instant Pot and cover the IP with the lid; do not set to cook. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before checking again, to see if they are done.
WHAT IS THE “CHICKEN SETTING” ON THE INSTANT POT
- If available on your Instant Pot, choose the “Poultry” option. It will default to HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes. You can then adjust for “More” or “Less” time, depending on what the recipe says.
MORE INSTANT POT CHICKEN THIGHS RECIPES
- Instant Pot Lemon Butter Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Sticky Chicken Thighs
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
TOOLS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Incredibly easy, sweet, and tangy Honey Mustard Chicken cooked in the Instant Pot! This Instant Pot recipe is a healthy meal with minimal cleanup and ready in under 30 minutes.
- 6 (about 2 pounds, total) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil OR olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey (I used Honey-Free Vegan, KETO, Low Carb Honey)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Season chicken thighs with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Press the "Sauté" function on the Instant Pot and pour in the oil.
Once oil is hot, add in the chicken thighs and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until just browned; remove thighs from the Instant Pot and set aside.
Keeping the IP on "Sauté", stir diced onions into the hot oil and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little more oil if needed.
Stir in the garlic and cook for 20 seconds, or until fragrant.
Pour in the chicken broth and scrape up all the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Turn off the "Sauté" function.
Whisk mustard and honey into the chicken broth; whisk until well combined.
Place chicken thighs back into the IP, close the vent, and lock the lid into its position.
Press the MANUAL button or PRESSURE COOK button and set time to 8 minutes; then, allow the pot to do a natural pressure release (NPR). Mine took about 12 minutes to depressurize.
Take out the chicken thighs and set aside.
In a mixing cup or bowl, combine heavy cream, whole-grain Dijon Mustard, and cornstarch; whisk until thoroughly combined.
Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot and spoon in the creamy mixture. Continue to whisk until thoroughly combined and sauce is thickened.
Turn off the Instant Pot and let the sauce simmer for about a minute.
Place chicken back in the Instant Pot OR pour the sauce over the chicken; garnish with parsley and serve.
NOTES: You can use bone-in chicken thighs and skin-on chicken thighs; add 2 more minutes cooking time if using bone-in chicken.