Crock Pot Butternut Squash with Apples, Walnuts and Raisins – This easy, delicious, and simple holiday side dish combines butternut squash, fresh apples, crunchy walnuts and sweet raisins cooked simply in the crock pot.
It’s time for another version of crock pot butternut squash deeee-liciousness!
But first, I’d like to wish you a Happy Happy Sunday, pals! Also, Happy End-of-Daylight-Saving-Day! How did you enjoy that extra hour this morning?
Personally, I hate it. Throws me off. Throws the kids off. AND losing an hour of daylight is baaaaad news for my pictures. Less light = dark blue hues with a pinch of green. UGH. I know… serious problems.
On the flip side, the CUBS are WORLD SERIES CHAMPS, so everything MUST be all right with the world. ⚾
P.S. Did we really play ‘the world‘? Or did we play teams from just *this* country? I’m asking for a friend – we need to figure out why it’s called a World Series…? ⚾
Now, how about that wonderful Fall food up there! It is a bunch of regular, gorgeous Fall ingredients slow cooked to perfection with all these classic flavors and textures to make a side dish that is going to rock-your-holiday-world yummy. I hear side-dish angels singing.
Although, let’s be honest; I would not be sad if I ended up eating this 12 months of the year. This crock pot butternut squash could love me all year long.
I was headed to a little Fall-themed birthday party at my girl’s house last week, and I wanted to bring something baked, warm, VEGETARIAN (no chicken??? ) and in a crock pot. During process of elimination – no chicken, no chicken wings, no chicken thighs!!! – I came to a point where I wanted to give up, but then I quickly bounced back, took a knife to my lovely squash, and a dish was born!
But, because a basket of apples was staring right at me, I took a knife to those, too. And because I was out of cranberries, but found a large bag of raisins, I threw those in there, as well. And you know what, you can swap in any nuts or dried fruits you want. Mix them up, or stick to walnuts, and add in craisins, or something else, or put your right foot in, take your right foot out, put your right foot and you – you want to shut me up, don’t you? 😃
Basically, what I’m trying to tell you is that you just need to layer all these ingredients in the crock pot, add a bit of apple juice and buttah, cover it and bounce. Go do your thing while all of this comes together.
Okay, now I’ll go.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Crock Pot Butternut Squash with Apples, Walnuts and Raisins
- 2-1/2 pounds butternut squash , peeled, cut in half, seeds removed and cut into cubes (about 4 cups of cubed squash)
- 2 large cooking apples , cored and cut into cubes
- 1/3- cup raisins, or dried cranberries
- 1/3- cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter , cut in pieces
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Add cubed squash, apples, raisins, apple juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the crock pot; mix until combined.
- Stir in sage and season with salt and pepper.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on LOW.
- Remove cover and stir.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with walnuts.