Coconut Baklava – Layers of fillo sheets filled with an incredibly delicious honey mixture with shredded coconut and walnuts.
Bust out the Phyllo sheets, my friends! I’ve got a project for you!
You are going to make Coconut Baklava this weekend!
I can’t even begin to count how many emails I have received from my fellow countrymen/women about a recipe for Baklava. Sure, they can go to Google and ask him, but that’s no fun! You want to go straight to the horse’s, or in this case, blogger’s mouth and hear it from the expert. buahahhaha I just called me an expert! Far from it! BUT! I do make a killer Baklava, so that’s that.
WHAT IS BAKLAVA
This amazing, sweet, crunchy dessert has been claimed by many and all; Turks, Greeks, Persians, Armenians, Macedonians… the list goes on. The truth is, we all make it, but we all also have our own ways of making it. The only standard is the Phyllo sheets.
Baklava is just that; a stack of phyllo sheets filled with whatever the heck you want and drowned in a delicious simple syrup.
Macedonian Baklava is usually filled with just walnuts, but I am not a fan of the whole honey and nuts filling; I need more. So I added shredded coconut. That was a smart move. No. It was brilliant!!
The result is pure, sweet, coconutty goodness.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 20 Phyllo Sheets , divided
- 1 stick butter , melted
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Combine coconut, walnuts, vanilla, milk, and honey in a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Lightly grease a jellyroll pan.
- Layer 10 pieces of Phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with the melted butter before adding the next.
- Sprinkle the entire coconut mixture over the dough.
- Layer the remaining 10 sheets, brushing each sheet with butter before adding the next.
- Cut the baklava. You can cut the baklava into a diamond pattern, like I did, or squares.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and let completely cool.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup.
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil; lower heat to a simmer, and continue to cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Pour the hot syrup over the completely cooled baklava.
- Let stand, uncovered, for 6 hours or overnight.
WW FREESTYLE POINTS: 19
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy