Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Skillet – Deliciously seasoned bed of rice chock-full of chicken pieces, veggies, and so much flavor! Everything you need for a delicious dinner made in just one skillet!
Me and this whole ONE POT MEALS thing… it’s out of control.
This recipe was originally published on June 6, 2014, and updated with new photos and content on March 2, 2018.
I found some raw cubed chicken in the back of my freezer, leftover from that Jambalaya, so I decided to remake this old time favorite for us and share it again with you. I added some veggies in here for some color, more flavor, and texture. Best part, always, is that everything cooks in the same skillet for better flavor and less cleanup. It’s your main dish and your side dish in just one pan. HIGH-FIVE!
Therefore! I am going to make you skip the movies AND the Olive Garden tonight because you are going to make this Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Skillet for din din. M’kay?
Real talk? I haven’t gone to the movie theater in over 2 years. Prior to that, it was 4 years.
I’m SO not a movie goer. I just can’t get into it. AND it’s 2 hours of my life wasted on watching some director’s fantasy and/or wild imagination…
Now, gimme a documentary, or some other real life/true story stuff, and I am all over that! Not those “based” on a true story – no – I want THE story. Know what I mean?
BUT, I wish I could make this Chicken Skillet for YOU. I really do. It’s SO GOOD!!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN AND RICE WITH VEGGIES
All sorta things are happening in here. We have rice, chicken, veggies, more rice… and it all happens in one skillet.
- We will first brown some chicken pieces, then add in diced onions and peppers.
- Some water and sour cream (you can use yogurt) will be added in, as well as seasonings, rice, and tomatoes.
- When all of that comes to a boil, we’ll lower the heat, cover the pan, and cook it all for about 7 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- A stir of shredded cheese (optional) and some green onions is all you will need to finish it off.
JUST A NOTE…
I have made this recipe with both, white minute rice and brown minute rice, and the cooking time was the same for both. The brown rice added more flavor, but it was a tad bit mushier than the white minute rice. Just a tad! Nothing to worry about.
Honestly, these days it seems that the only way I am capable of preparing dinner is if it all takes place in one pan. Chicken also has to be present, and some cheese. Carbs are also welcome… now I’m thinking about bread rolls and steak. Me hungry.
As I said earlier, all you have to do here is throw some stuff in a skillet and eat it. I don’t even bother putting it on a plate. I just stand above the stove and “taste-test” for, like, ever! It’s THAT good. Trust me. Make it and you’ll see.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
TOOLS AND INGREDIENTS USED IN THIS RECIPE
Deliciously seasoned bed of rice chock-full of chicken pieces, veggies, and so much flavor! Everything you need for a delicious dinner made in just one skillet!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves , cubed
- 2 white onions , sliced
- 1 bell pepper , diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme , leaves only
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked instant rice (brown rice or white rice)
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (you can also use yogurt)
- 1 large tomato , diced
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 2 green onions , sliced (optional)
- parsley , for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. (I used a 12-inch cast iron skillet)
Add cubed chicken pieces; cook until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers.
- Season with salt, ground pepper, and fresh thyme leaves.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender; about 6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, water, rice, and sour cream; stir until well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and season with paprika.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and continue to cook for about 7 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and garnish with green onions and parsley.
Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
OPTIONAL: For a browned, crusty top, you can pop the skillet under the broiler for a minute or 2.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 11
MORE SIMILAR RECIPES
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy