Light, fluffy, homemade Blueberry Scones, topped with turbinado sugar and dipped in a creamy, rich and sweet Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting.
What. a. week! Welcome back, Friday!
Man! I feel like ah … bear waking up from hibernation(?)
Being stuck at home for several days definitely has its ups – sleeping-in because the entire State is shut down, chillin’ in your PJs until noon, catching up on your favorite shows, etc…
But, of course with those ups come the downs. Or, in fact, it was just one down – boredom. And with that boredom, the inevitable happens – eating everything in sight because I am bored.
I chose not to be bored, and not to eat because I was bored. Instead, I baked and baked and baked… and made the others eat! I made double chocolate pancakes, blueberry scones, soda bread, pasta from scratch, and bacon-wrapped everything. I hope I get that wife and mom of the year award…
Look at the Hubs! HA!
I was watching my husband from inside while he was cleaning the snow. He was freezing out there. The snow was coming down really hard, but besides that, it was somewhere around -15 degrees while he was doing his snow-cleaning duty. We thought the temps were bad, but that night, the temperatures reached -45! Alaska was warmer than Indiana. WHAT?! Yeah, yeah it was!
Two days later the temps moved up to 5 degrees and I went out there in shorts, cleaning the driveway again like it ain’t no thang!
While we were stuck inside, listening to each other’s thoughts, we were also dipping these amazing scones in an awesome blueberry cream cheese frosting. This stuff is da bomb! I mean, it’s so simple and sweet, you’ll want to dig in with a spoon. We did. Of course.
You know what else is great about this recipe? It’s a weekend recipe. It’s a Saturday & Sunday morning recipe. Think about it, who doesn’t want to wake up to homemade scones on the weekend? Exactly.
After inhaling the scones, I found myself making another batch of the frosting… I also hid it from the rest of the fam. I kinda ate it, all by myself. Thank the LAWWWD that the scale and I are not on speaking terms. I’m mad at her… always lying to me with her numbers-game. Ain’t nobody got time for liars.
You don’t have to believe me, BUT you should – once you get a taste of these scones, you will jump for joy when it’s time to make breakfast on the weekends!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (8-ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries , chopped
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line baking sheet with foil and grease with baking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 eggs, cream, and vanilla; mix until thoroughly combined.
- Stir cream mixture into flour mixture and mix only until combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Flour your work area and turn out the dough.
- Sprinkle dough with more flour.
- Divide dough into 3 portions.
- Pat down each portion of dough to about a 6-inch round.
- Place on previously prepared baking sheet.
- Cut each round of dough into quarters.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; whisk until combined.
- Brush each scone with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 11 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Combine cream cheese and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Beat on low for 30 seconds; continue to beat on high for 1 minute, or until mixture is creamy.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Serve with scones.
RECIPE SOURCE: DIETHOOD
WW SmartPoints: 14
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy