Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Skillet: Everything you need for a delicious dinner made in just one skillet!
Me and this whole one-pot meal thing… it’s out of control.
I am going to make you skip the movies AND the Olive Garden tonight because you are going to make this Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Skillet for din din. K?
Real Talk – I haven’t gone to the movie theater in over 2 years. Prior to that, it was 4 years.
I’m SO not a movie goer. Or watcher. I just can’t get into it. AND it’s 2 hours of my life wasted on watching some director’s fantasy and/or wild imagination… No thanks – I got plenty of that.
Now, gimme a documentary, or some other real life/true story stuff, and I am all over that! Not those “based” on a true story – no – I want THE story. Know what I mean?
Thus, Friday nights are reserved for Chicken Fettuccine -type meals and
Real Housewives reruns a docu on Netflix. It’s how I found out that “You Oughta Know” by Alanis was about Uncle Joey! The Full House Uncle Joey!! He broke Alanis’ heart! EW! Weird.
Oh, wait. That was on an E! True Hollywood Story rerun…
She shoulda just made him this skillet – they’d still be together, with 4 little Joeys running around.
BUT, I wish I could make this Chicken Skillet for YOU. I really do. It’s SO GOOD!!
All sorta things are happening in here. We have rice, chicken, veggies, more rice… and it all happens in one skillet.
It seems that the only way I am capable of preparing dinner these days is if it all takes place in one pot. Chicken also has to be present, and some cheese. Carbs are also welcome… now I’m thinking about bread rolls and steak. Agh. I must be hungry. Focus!
All you have to do here is throw some stuff in a skillet and eat it. I don’t even bother putting it on a plate. I just stand above the stove and “taste-test” for, like, ever! It’s THAT good. Trust me. Make it and you’ll see.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast halves, cubed
- 2 white onions, sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant rice
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 1 large tomato, diced
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional)
- parsley, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cubed chicken pieces; cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers.
- Season with salt, ground pepper, and fresh thyme leaves.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender; about 6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, water, rice, and sour cream; stir until well blended.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and season with paprika.
- Lower heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and continue to cook for about 7 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and garnish with green onions and parsley.
- Taste for seasoning; adjust accordingly.