A delicious side dish of brussels sprouts tossed together with tart apples and garnished with candied walnuts.
Hi there! Happy Sunday!
How are you? What are you doing?
Oh, me, you ask?!?
Nothin’ much, just baking and cooking for Thanksgiving.
Um. Yes, I know it’s two weeks away, but I want to help you out with your menu, thus I’m working on all these wonderful recipes just for you! We are all here to inspire, right?! Right!
Trust me, friends, I am in deep. You have got to see my kitchen. Or, actually, never mind. Don’t even think about peeking in! There are dishes piling up and up… I have flour and powdered sugar all over my counter. There’s butter and cream cheese near the mixer, just sitting around, waiting to be creamed. Then, I have potatoes waiting for me to mash ’em up, chestnuts to be roasted, an apple pie in the oven, and a jar of peanut butter to be… I still don’t know what I’m gonna do with that. Eat it, possibly.
So, are you a turkey person or a side-dish person? I take just a little slice of turkey and the rest is all stuffing, brussels sprouts, potatoes, cranberry sauce… oh my, excuse moi, I just drooled.
Now, let me be honest. It’s not because this is my recipe that I’m saying this, but this Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples and Candied Walnuts is all the side dish you’re going to need this Holiday season. Yep. This is some seriously delicious stuff. Just hit print and run!
Don’t believe me?! Is it because of the apples? or the walnuts?! Buhlieve me, it is amaaaaaaze! Think about it; pan roasted brussels sprouts and tart apples, topped with sweet, candied walnuts – incredible!
Besides, what other Thanksgiving side dish will be ready in 20 minutes, including prep time!?! Exactly!
Git er done!! <— I wish I could get away with saying that (and “y’all”), but somehow my Macedonian/Chicago accent just doesn’t allow it to sound very authentic.
Have a great Sunday and ENJOY!
Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples and Candied Walnuts
For the Salad
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound brussels sprouts , quartered
- 1 big tart apple , sliced
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
For the Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add brussels sprouts and apples; season with salt and pepper.
- Add rosemary and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Prepare walnuts by melting butter in saucepan.
- Add sugars and stir until incorporated; add walnuts and continue to stir around for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove brussels sprouts and apples from heat and let cool for 2 minutes.
- Spoon salad onto plate and garnish with candied walnuts.