Sweet Potato and Cranberry Stuffing – Festive and delicious stuffing made with a mixture of sweet potatoes, fresh cranberries, carrots, onions, and bread cubes
Before we begin to discuss deliciousness and all, let me remind you to take that bird out of the freezer, like, yesterday! Remember this rule of thumb; allow 1 day of thawing for every 4 lbs and thaw the turkey breast side up, unopened, on a tray and in the fridge.
While we’re here sharing all sorts of Thanksgiving tips and recipes, I should tell you that what I’m really thinking about is peppermint, chocolate, and a fat man in a suit! EEEEK!
Yesterday I shared my bird with you – a beautiful Rosemary Lemon Roasted Turkey made with infused rosemary-lemon olive oil. Today I am going to share my favorite stuffing made with sweet potatoes and fresh cranberries, among other delicious things.
This recipe is special because I make no excuses when I eat half of it. Seriously. I can inhale the whole thing, but I guess that’s considered uncouth, especially on Thanksgiving…meh.
My favorite part of making stuffing and turkey is the
bottle wine glass that sits next to me the entire time. And the fact that my husband is right there to refill it. Good times!
Want to know how to make this stuffing even better? Add LOTS of chunky crumbled feta cheese and you can forget about the gravy! Or not… keep the gravy. It’s too good. And symbolic.
CRAVING MORE? SIGN UP FOR THE DIETHOOD NEWSLETTER FOR FRESH NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX!
FOLLOW DIETHOOD ON FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST AND INSTAGRAM FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
- butter for dish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato , cubed (about 4 cups cubed sweet potato)
- 2 large carrots , sliced into chunks about the same size as the sweet potato cubes
- 2 yellow onions , each onion sliced into 4 wedges
- salt and fresh pepper , to taste
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 4 cups dry bread cubes (unseasoned)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 12x9 baking dish; set aside.
- Heat butter and olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet.
- Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add rosemary sprigs.
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime prepare the cranberries.
- Place cranberries in a small saucepan and pour enough water just to cover the cranberries.
- Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and continue to cook for 7 to 8 minutes, or until the cranberries begin to pop. Do not overcook or you will have pink stuffing.
- Remove from heat.
- When vegetables are done cooking, add bread cubes and broth; stir until stuffing is evenly moist.
- Remove rosemary sprigs.
- Fold in prepared cranberries.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared baking dish.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
WW SmartPoints: 6
I’M IN THE MOOD FOR…
- Has Eggs
- Is Healthy
- Is Make Ahead
- Is Simple
- Is a Smoothie
- Is Kid Friendly
- Is Light
- Is Quick
- Is Perfect for Work
- Are Cheesy
- Are Dips or Spreads
- Are Healthy
- Are Perfect for Parties
- Are Simple
- Has Beef
- Has Chicken
- Uses an Instant Pot
- Is Quick
- Has Seafood
- Uses a Slow Cooker
- Is Vegetarian
- Have Alcohol
- Are Crowd Pleasers
- Are Fruity
- Are Kid Friendly
- Are Seasonal
- Is Chocolatey
- Is Festive
- Is Frozen
- Is Easy